free site template ?

Lloyd wrote something in bjorns free site thread that got me wondering:

The straight link list owners seem to think how you arrange a bunch of banners on a page determines if it’s a templated site or not. So, I just changed banners around, put up different sized ones on each site, and changed the color. They never figured out I was using the same template.

What exactly does make a template a template ? and how much do you need to change to keep linklist owners and their reviewers happy with your sites ?

is color enough ? is text enough ? is banners enough ?

yes yes, i know that it will depend on the linklist, the owners mood on the day you submit etc but any input would be nice…

Re: free site template ?

You know, I have no idea.

For example, I like my own templates for free sites above most sites that are submitted to Gaydemon. Why? Because they are very clean, straight forward and they don’t take the piss. IE hidden links, banner farms etc etc.

There are only a few really good gay submitters left. But they use either a single template the whole time but make up for it by having one which is clean and with good content. The others create single individual sites.

So for me, I dont mind templates if they are clean, look good and follow the rules I have.

BUT they should not be used more than 3 times a week each. Thats what I am aiming for, no template I create should be used more than 1 in every 10 sites I have made.

I haven’t changed my template in over a year and I’m not having any problems.
But I don’t submit to straight lists, I just couldn’t be bothered with all their pickiness.

In fact, I’ve used nothing but templates on AVS, freesites, and TGPs since 2003 and I’ve never had a problem.

Michael

hehe ok, i guess i will put the focus into getting a good clean template made that sells and just see how far i can get with that template before being rejected for “template overuse”…

I dont submit to straight lists at the moment so hopefully i will have the same luck as you guys have with getting the template listed…

Thank you for the input, now if you will excuse me i am off to copy the best template from bjorns thread :stuck_out_tongue:

You will be fine if its a good template.

But I forgot to mention that its also to do with how many sites you submit the same week / day using the same template. If you submit 5 a week, then its unlikly to be a problem.

If you submit 20 a week, you will end up getting them all deleted or not accepted on most sites.

[quote=Mickey;25396]hehe ok, i guess i will put the focus into getting a good clean template made that sells and just see how far i can get with that template before being rejected for “template overuse”…

I dont submit to straight lists at the moment so hopefully i will have the same luck as you guys have with getting the template listed…

Thank you for the input, now if you will excuse me i am off to copy the best template from bjorns thread :p[/quote]

i am a lazy git right now so am only submitting one site per week, but would like to get into the habit of submiting at least 3 sites … the traffic is good and does make sales from what i can see …

As far as I am concerned, if you have a good template and are trying to brand your hub, it’s ok. But…

The straight link lists are VERY picky:

1. The ones that actually send traffic will only allow one site submitted per day. Most often they find something wrong. So, you will get like 20 listed a month.

When I was submitting to straight link lists, i just played around with banner placement to make my site look different and changed the fonts on my titles (they seem to like that).

Now- The MAIN issue with templated sites is they will actuall let you list a bunch of them and then after a month, “review” your submissions and “blacklist” you if you have used the same template over again. Then you have to goto usefulscripts and “appeal” the ban. Pain in the ass.

hehe think i will stay away from the straight lists, as the gay ones have much better targeted traffic for my site anyways…