Free / AVS sites pay back now or later?

Xstr8guy made me want to ask something else with this post:

[quote=xstr8guy;22717]Btw, when I was building AVS galleries for a living, sometimes I would reinvest as much as 100% or more in a month when I would go on a content buying spree. On average, I would guess I reinvested about 50% back then. But I never used sponsor content either.

You have to spend money to make money! ;)[/quote]

When you build a free or AVS site, would you expect that site to pay for itself within a week, a month or over years.

If you pay for creating them, I can’t see them returning the investment it cost to make them in any short time period. Or should they?

Re: Free / AVS sites pay back now or later?

I can’t see a short term return on having one built. Learn to build them your self, submit them and forget them, they will make you money over a period of time.

I was making my money back in about 30 days or less on an AEN site. That would be a site with about $200 in content. I am not sure if Jim was buying one set and making a site or building an AEN site with multiple sets and marketing it a mini paysite.

I have at least one site that I spent about $100 in content that has made over $5,000 over the past 3 years.

I didn’t worry about it. I just kept buying content. The more site I put up on my hub, the more sales and rebills I saw coming in. I’m still generating a great income from my main hub, so I’ve definitely made my content money back.

I never used sponsored content on my hubs and they actually sold better than the webmasters using sponsored content.

Michael

No this isnt about 1 site. I’m having about 100 or so created each month, its a small project im workign on and testing something. Want to get between 1000-2000 free sites in total.

Its kind of what I’m hoping to find from my Free site test / project. That over time it pays for it self rather than instantly.

Yet to be seen of course.

[quote=dzinerbear;22754]I didn’t worry about it. I just kept buying content. The more site I put up on my hub, the more sales and rebills I saw coming in. I’m still generating a great income from my main hub, so I’ve definitely made my content money back.

I never used sponsored content on my hubs and they actually sold better than the webmasters using sponsored content.

Michael[/quote]

If you use sponsor content, they will pay for themselves pretty quickly. But I have found that sponsor content doesn’t make great AEN sales.

What kind of free sites are these?

All on different domains, same domain, purchased content, etc.?

[QUOTE=dzinerbear;22754]I didn’t worry about it. I just kept buying content. The more site I put up on my hub, the more sales and rebills I saw coming in. I’m still generating a great income from my main hub, so I’ve definitely made my content money back.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Michael and I worked in a very similar fashion with AVS… although he did/does it much better than I. It wasn’t about each individual gallery, it was about the hub. I never worried if a gallery made a single sale.

I wanted to capture the regular, yearly AVS members and convert them into monthly Premium members. I’d buy photosets and use some for a regular gallery or two and save the best photos for a Premium gallery that I would upsell on my hub. That is where the money was for me. My methods would never translate into freesites.

As for paying someone to design galleries for me, I would never have considered that option. I just built several templates and plugged in new photos and text for each new gallery. The key is getting a good template. Bad templates helped kill AVS.

Same domain, different designs. Clean and neat, using only good sponsor content to promote the same sites its from. No leaks, only links to the sponsors.

But what I have found is that gay webmasters are quite spoiled, my intention is to try and get these sites listed on straight link lists. But the rules are so much harder than any gay link lists so they got to be quite tightly designed. I dont think a single webmaster who gets sites listed on gaydemon currently (including myself) would have a chance to get listed on any of these big link lists.

Funny enough, I will be able to comply with these rules after some tweaking, except when it comes to the content. Most gay sponsor content doesnt comply with listing rules, the images are not big / high enough quality.

[quote=Squirt;22795]What kind of free sites are these?

All on different domains, same domain, purchased content, etc.?[/quote]

What are the rules Bjorn?

The straight link lists for the most part don’t like “sponsor content”. They look down upon sites with more than 30 pics. They despise templates. And they really look hard at your recip table. They LOVE big banners all over the place as long as you have no more than 3 outgoing links. It really is amazing that straight link list owners feel banners give a site personality.

How about pic sizes? What are their minimum requirements for dimensions?

Most are happy with anything close to 800 by 600…

http://www.link-o-rama.com/greenguy/therules.htm

That is a good gauge as far as rules go as many use Greenie’s rules.

• pictures to be at least 1200 px on both sides combined (length + height)
  • only 3 external links per page (every link counts even if they are they same).
  • no subdomains
Thats the rules I had a problem on the sites I asked them to have a look at.

[QUOTE=gaydemon;22964]

• pictures to be at least 1200 px on both sides combined (length + height)
  • only 3 external links per page (every link counts even if they are they same).
  • no subdomains
Thats the rules I had a problem on the sites I asked them to have a look at.[/QUOTE]

Just by chance, our promo pics just happen to be 480x720 which is exactly 1200px combined.

09.jpg

oh combined… i didnt figure that one out. So what they actually mean 1200 if you add height and width together… bloody weird way of measuring.

Ok, so not too bad then. Thanks for noticing that!