For all you hardware guys...

I bought a 12U, sound insulated, rack enclosure for my new home office…

I managed to use 9 of the 12U so far, though one of those servers is old and won’t be turned on very often…

Now I just have to finish reconfiguring the remaining server for it’s new role (it’s a server I used to use for colo).

rack.jpg

Re: For all you hardware guys…

I am in luv…

What are you doing with all these servers? :slight_smile:

very nice, that’s probably jerkoff material to some! :slight_smile:

Only two of them are proper servers… Starting from the top…

1U rack mount ethernet switch (the house needed one, it might as well be in the rack)
1U blank panel
1U Old XServe G5 that I may never start up, but it can be reformatted with a Linux OS, so I’ll keep it
1U Newer XServe (Intel) that will be the local database and file server
1U 4TB RAID
1U 6TB RAID
1/2U empty
1 1/2U DVR for the house’s security cameras (4 channels of 1080p + 4 channels of SD)
2U blank panel
2U UPS

The 2 XServes and the 4TB RAID came from when I used to do colo. Once I switched to managed hosting I had servers I needed to find a use for. If I tried to sell them I wouldn’t get much of any money for them.

Which is why I posted it. Some will find it boring, others (like gumdrop) will be in love with it.

[QUOTE=rawTOP;115457]
Which is why I posted it. Some will find it boring, others (like gumdrop) will be in love with it.[/QUOTE]

And probably me… a bit jealous. I do like my computers! :slight_smile:

Now with that and your big bath tub… I’m in love with your new house! I can’t wait to see the place all finished.

And how does your electricity bill looks like now ? Also how do you manage all the noise from these servers ? I find it much batter to have the least possible amount of working fans at home.

Only one thing in there is a proper server that’ll be consistently powered on. I’ve had an iMac and the RAIDs going for years now. Only difference is an XServe instead of an iMac and a DVR which I can’t live without (there’s real crime on our block). The extra fans and the ethernet switch won’t make much of a dent on the electric bill. The switch I picked powers down ports that aren’t in use so they don’t use electricity.

Noise-wise the whole point of an XRack is that it’s sound insulated. When you close things up it’s not all that loud. It does add some white noise, but I can live with it. When the contractor finally gets the doors on the closets that will make it even quieter.