feed sites

This is as basic a thread as you can get. I don’t know anything about this and am finding piecemeal but don’t understand the big picture. I was looking for something with less maintenance than a handwritten blog, something that is still a reasonable and profitable site. (Assuming some day I’ll make money on my handwritten blog or any site I make!)

My understanding is that a blog made only or mostly with feeds is just set up and then you don’t have to do anything to make the posts - forever? They are all done for you - pics, videos, with my affiliate links in them?

If who knows how many hundreds or thousands of blogs/sites receive the same posts, I’d think SE’s would frown on duplicate posts, maybe favor the one blog whose thread by chance got online first? Sounds like disaster for SEO. So how do feed sites survive? Is it only for the big guys? Do you have to have 30 or 200 feed sites to get an income? Throw them up and leave them.

Then there are other sites that have part feed, then special pages for site reviews, etc. Are these kinds of sites more successful.

Thanks for your patience with my lack of knowledge on the subject. I always found feeds confusing to understand.

Re: feed sites

something else to consider - what is one’s legal responsibility for content posted by other feeds.

For example, what if I start publishing a feed from a site that featured hairy bears but then two months later switched over to promoting illegal content? Would I be held liable for the illegal content?

Also, if I monitor it daily is there a “reasonable” period of time the illegal content can be posted on my site without me getting in trouble? For instance, if I check the site every day at 3:00 PM and at 3:45 PM illegal content is fed to my site. I wouldn’t notice it for another 24 hours or so.

Well, don’t know about these things. I’d intend on getting feeds from paysites. I don’t know if paysites just suddenly put up illegal things, do they? I’m just trusting the sponsors I promote on my blog, for example, are all legal. Could be naive, but I think they all are and intend on being so. In other words, I’d get feeds for my blog/site from sponsors like that, without mentioning names in this post.

Ask yourself, does it sound too good to be true? To just put together a few feeds and never do anything again, just gets lots of cash?

Feed sites is a blog version of spam. I’ve never seen one that looks good or is even remotely entertaining. The text is normaly rubbish, the images are tiny and low quality and never fits the blogs. It’s all very random and ugly. As you mentioned it’s also pointless from SEO perspective, none of the post will ever be unique or listed in search engines.

I know lots of people run feed blogs but the honest truth is they are utter rubbish and surfers hate them. The only reason they exists are because people are to lazy to write their own blogs, crop images or upload videos.

If you want to make money on blogs you will need to spend time and hard work at it, it’s the only way. Just like anything else in business, there are no free and easy rides.

Bjorn, you’ve seen my older paintings, I tend to do everything the hard way, lol. :rolleyes: Just was curious and thanks for the reality test.

I spend a lot of time on my images so they look good, and overdo it. Same with SE, everything. So I am working on that, my workflow, not overdoing it, not easy but working on it.

I have to admit, going from painting to this, my fun time is working with images. That’s probably why I spend so much time fixing them up. Wish I could just do that period, but I’m sure I’d be too far slow for any company, unless they wanted some special retouching or whatever.

I like things to look good.

Didn’t mean to make that look like an advertisement.

I did look at setting up feed sites, so I’ve been there. But I asked myself would I enjoy surfing one of them? The answer is a BIG NO. I really don’t think anyone likes surfing a feed blog, they are so obviously not written by a person and surfers are pretty good at spotting them for what they are.

If you find you don’t have enough time for your blog, then just post less frequently. I doubt it would have a massive impact.

Thanks for your input, Bjorn. It’s always down to earth, simplified, to the point common sense, and that works just right with me.

There is room for both handwritten blogs and RSS-feed blogs, and yes, A LOT of sales come from RSS-feed blogs. As a matter of fact, I can personally tell you that a lot of my own blogs are RSS only, and they account for the majority of my blog sales.

When it comes down to it, it takes maybe an hour to get a WP blog skinned, RSS plugged in and then submitted to all the directories…if you simply ignore this as a marketing avenue, you are missing out on some potentially good sales.

[QUOTE=HunkMoneyLuke;70205]There is room for both handwritten blogs and RSS-feed blogs, and yes, A LOT of sales come from RSS-feed blogs. As a matter of fact, I can personally tell you that a lot of my own blogs are RSS only, and they account for the majority of my blog sales.

When it comes down to it, it takes maybe an hour to get a WP blog skinned, RSS plugged in and then submitted to all the directories…if you simply ignore this as a marketing avenue, you are missing out on some potentially good sales.[/QUOTE]

hmm, have to think about that. interesting discussion. glad I started the thread.

I think you’re going to find a lot of mixed feelings on RSS Feed blogs Tim. I tried it myself for a while and just couldn’t get many sales at all. I chose some of the best feeds around too.

That was just on a few blogs I set up specifically for this purpose. It didn’t work out for me at all. Hand written blog posts seem to do much, much better for me and that’s what I’ll stick with. I have 11 blogs, so it’s tough, but as Bjorn said, you have to work hard to reap financial rewards in this business.

Good luck with your decision - whatever it may be.

Thanks, Jeff, I need it. :slight_smile:

There is actually a specific term for feed blogs, SPLOGS… Spam Blogs.

No disrepect to Luke - who I adore :wink: - Remember even e-mail spam sells, if you just have enough of it. Volume always makes a difference. but in your case unless your intending to setup a big network of splogs you won’t make sales.

And no matter how you look at it, a feed site can never be anything other than spam. There is no human input, nothing new created, forever spewing out the same content already published in 1000s of places. I.E spam.

hehe…no disrespect taken, I rather enjoy these discussions!

I agree that a handwritten blog will normally always do better, but I am saying there is a place for both handwritten and RSS-feed blogs. And ignoring one of these may lead to missing some easy sales.

Also, just because you are using rss feeds it doesn’t necessarily mean its the same as content already published. Actually, I have gotten some pretty nice results with SEO and google by doing some simple morphing using Blogs Organizer, where I substitute common terms with the terms I am going after. The text is unique, its keyword loaded and ends up on the top search results for the specific words I am after.

I have also seen some great examples of splogs setup with directories such that the directory becomes a hub, filtering traffic to the appropriate sponsor-fed blog. Setting up this type of network is an easy way to generate bookmarkers and good quality filtered traffic.

Not written by person? Who the hell write that things? :wink:

HunkMoneyLuke - have right, some good sales come from rss blog but it is better to have unq handwritten blog post.

I run few rss blogs.

[QUOTE=inkognito;72439]Not written by person? Who the hell write that things? :wink:

HunkMoneyLuke - have right, some good sales come from rss blog but it is better to have unq handwritten blog post.

I run few rss blogs.[/QUOTE]

Spam also makes sales…

I simply meant that RSS blogs are not written by the blog owner and already used 10000s times on other blogs. From a surfers perspective RSS Blogs are as much fun as reading junk mail. Just look at www.bestmaleblogs.com, there isn’t as single RSS blog anywhere even close to the top positions.

Oh bull … I’m finding that statement to be offensive. The LAST thing I am is lazy. As to SEO – go punch in straight cocks on your google … go ahead, I’ll wait.

www.juststraightcocks.com is just ONE of my RSS fed blogs …

straight male cocks works too – but I’m only #2 with it.

One of my bestest online buddies writes morph blog feeds for sponsors. She supports herself, and two kids doing “hand written” posts, and a feed is probably the #1 tool affiliates are asking for these days, next to hosted flvs.

[QUOTE=Bec;72520]straight male cocks works too – but I’m only #2 with it.

One of my bestest online buddies writes morph blog feeds for sponsors. She supports herself, and two kids doing “hand written” posts, and a feed is probably the #1 tool affiliates are asking for these days, next to hosted flvs.[/QUOTE]

just curious, do you do any feed rewriting on your side or just use the feeds as in from the sponsor?

[QUOTE=Bec;72518]Oh bull … I’m finding that statement to be offensive. The LAST thing I am is lazy. As to SEO – go punch in straight cocks on your google … go ahead, I’ll wait.

www.juststraightcocks.com is just ONE of my RSS fed blogs …[/QUOTE]

Sorry I don’t mean to offend you, I’m sure you work very hard but you can’t deny that the majority of RSS Blogs are setup because people haven’t got the time or want to put in the effort to write their own content. But what value to surfers are you creating if you just republish the same stuff over and over and over again? Search engine traffic isn’t everything, you need bookmarkers to really grow a site.

As to SEO, your blog proves my point very well. You have only got 5 pages of your entire site indexed by Google, not a single individual post. 4 of those pages are a script pages that shouldn’t be indexed anyway. You’re getting on page 1 for the term “straight cock” because it’s a direct match to your domain name and it’s a fairly obscure (but well chosen) term. Not because of the content on your blog.