Factors affecting playback

I need some advice on how to get playback to work properly when using Flowplayer and larger video files.

At the moment the only option is to use HTTP pseudo-streaming and my own connection is 100Mbps (and working correctly for all other sites) so this can’t be part of the problem.

What is happening is the video is taking a long time to start (around a minute) and then buffering every few seconds.

What factors are affecting this? Might seem like a stupid question really, but I’m not sure what more I can do to stop these playback issues. YouTube uses HTTP so this should be an effective option.

Re: Factors affecting playback

Not sure what is causing the buffering after waiting so long for it to start.

I’m assuming your talking about MP4 files? If so I have seen the situation where a video won’t start to play till it has completely downloaded. This is caused because the “moov atom” is at the end of the MP4 rather than the beginning and the player can’t do anything till it can read this chunk of data. ffmpeg places the moov atom at the end… You need to use another program that moves the moov atom to the front of the file.

I’ve also seen servers compressing all files served… This can cause problems with some players that can’t uncompress the videos. You have to make sure you exclude video/image files within the servers configuration so it doesn’t compress them.

Just some ideas, not sure if they are the problems your experiencing.

Sincerely,
Kevin.

Hi,

I take this opportunity to thank Kevin which I detected this problem on my server :slight_smile:

I had this issue on my server GZIP was setup on all files even MP4, immediately after this was remove on server, MP4 streams properly.

Kevin thank you for giving me this problem solved!

How did you know I was talking about you… hehe… Wasn’t going to name names but glad I could help :slight_smile:

Sincerely,
Kevin.

[QUOTE=mountequinox;123128]How did you know I was talking about you… hehe… Wasn’t going to name names but glad I could help :slight_smile:

Sincerely,
Kevin.[/QUOTE]

I’m glad too and more than you :wink:

Thanks I’ll give this a go and see if that helps the situation.

Appreciate your input.