Facebook Weirdness

Can someone explain the differences in the numbers in these two emails? I have two accounts set up as managers for my Male Prime FB page. This one was sent to my adult email address yesterday:

And this one was sent to my mainstream email address this morning:

They claim to cover the same period, but the numbers don’t match. Well, the first line of numbers matches which is even more confusing. I would understand if the period covered was based on the time the email was sent, but it clearly states April 20-26. Thoughts?

That said, it seems FB gives pages a lot more exposure once they hit 500 page likes. It’s like things exploded last week - despite me not doing much of anything differently.

Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 11.19.14 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 11.18.44 AM.jpg

Re: Facebook Weirdness

No idea, but that’s pretty impressive for a adult facebook page!

Actually, according to my experience, it’s not so hard to acquire a big following on FB. I made a facebook page that was conceived as a softcore/more amateur version of my main blog (well, sort of) and it got 3000 likes in just about one year. You can check it out at facebook.com/roughstraightmen

However, although I do make some posts from sponsors content (softcore stuff only) and put a link to that particular post on my main blog where I published the “full version” of it, I never saw much traffic coming from facebook to my main blog… only very few visitors.

It seems to me that Facebook people are a very enthusiastic bunch and will gladly engage (like your posts and put a lot of comments) if you can provide interesting, not widely seen updates, but it seems they don’t care much for sponsor stuff, and especially don’t care to visit your main blog even if you provide links in individual posts.

This year, partly due to seemingly dubious benefits, partly due to some personal problems, I stopped updating the FB page, but who knows, maybe there are some other benefits, such as increased brand recognition.

Well, technically it’s not really adult. It’s erotica and not tied to anything that’s adult. Well, if you go to the Tumblr blog there are links to my tamer adult stuff, but that’s a really minimal connection. It was more of an experiment to see how easy it was to get a following on FB. Up until last week the conclusion was “not very easy”. Which is why I don’t really spend much of any real time on it. It’s more like when I see something on FB that I like I repost it. Just takes a second.

As Bjorn said that’s pretty impressive!
Personally I prefer to spend the time and effort engaging through Twitter and Tumblr, from my experience the results from those two far outweigh anything that might come from FB. When I attempted to engage through FB I found something like 70% of all the likes and shares were from obvious spammers, so while something might look as though it’s had some reach, it’s pointless if those it’s reaching are just liking content to give the impression of being a genuine user.

I imagine it might be good in isolation if you have the time to really dedicate to it.

I just saw an article about FB making some sort of changes and there were mixed opinions on it. Don’t know if that had anything to do with this though. Something about how they will be delivering content to members. I already deleted the newsletter and link, sorry. But I expect you or someone will know what I am referring to.

I think you mean…

[URL=“https://www.webmasterworld.com/facebook/3007977.htm”]Facebook tweaks News Feed to show more status updates from friends

But that should work against pages, though it might be showing a “John Doe likes Male Prime” sort of post in the timeline and that could be helping.

All in all I’m really suspicious of what’s going on. The likes are spikey, which doesn’t make sense.

They don’t quite feel like real likes.

Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 1.23.23 PM.jpg

I dont quite know about the changes, but I created a new page 12 weeks ago for a new blog and via a little brand building and got these results;

Seemed a little too easy to me this time around ;-? but I am a bit of a seasoned facebook user, I am not very good with community building on tumblr, so facebook works for me…

I found putting “list type” posts on Facebook are the massive ones to get shared like the below one (put up under 3 differant pictures to attract differant audiances)

With orange showing reach, blue being clicks, and purple being likes/shares/comments

xxx3.jpg

Untitled.jpg

I just came across an interesting article that made me wonder whether I’m getting fake likes from social media spammers. Here’s the article…

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/121551/bot-bubble-click-farms-have-inflated-social-media-currency

In the article they talk about how companies in the Philippines set up fake social media profiles using cell phones for verification. That makes me wonder about the rash of mobile likes I received recently…

I didn’t pay to get those likes, but I wonder if some spammer suddenly started liking my page with their fake profiles in order to make the profile seem legit.

Does anyone know what the normal percentage of mobile likes really is?

I’m a tiny bit worried because I hear FB has algorithms where you need a certain percentage of your followers liking your posts to be considered worthwhile to show in your followers timelines. So fake users liking you can hurt your exposure.

Screen Shot 2015-05-05 at 1.09.18 PM.jpg

I am not too sure about this my mobile likes are a lot lower % than yours…

It is worth noting that these spam sweatshops where the users like EVERYTHING in their path to appear real would use computers not mobiles, the mobiles are only used to “verify” the accounts… These are the type of places you can “buy 100000000000000000000 twitter likes from” but the majority of the users would be using a desktop not a mobile. they basicly throw a free sim in a phone and recieve enough texts till facebook nulls the number and throw a new simcard in.

So I wouldn’t worry that its from a click farm, as it would be all desktop

There have been a few great articles out there from marketers and PR firms showing their experiences of FB fakeness, and it doesn’t seem to all be spammers - the suggestion being that FB itself manipulates the data to make it look as though you’re getting more attention, or less attention, than you actually are in order to encourage you to spend money.

I saw one video from a marketer who drilled down through all their amazing FB stats and found that something like 80% of all the interaction was with spammers who liked absolutely everything they could find. The real fans weren’t sharing the content, in order for it to have the reach they wanted they would have to spend a lot more money - totally not worth the time, effort or investment.