email subjects make things hard to find

lately more and more people are sending me many emails as replies to a single subject, and buried in up to 15 replies is a single important email. at least several of the emails are keepers, at least temporarily. some of these emails with subjects like “Re: did you see that thread?” have orders, schedule changes and financial info, where the others with the same subject are gossip, personal stuff or stuff about threads.

if you’re sending an important email, i suggest that you use a unique subject about the content of that email. it makes life sooooo much easier for the recipient!

after all, which do you suppose is easier to find if you want someone to send you money:

Re: how many thumbs should i use?
or
Bob’s wire transfer info

:wink:

Re: email subjects make things hard to find

A little OT - but did you get my last PM? sent it a few days ago and haven’t heard back yet, so figured I’d ask :slight_smile:

I’m guilty!!

I almost always just hit the reply button on the last recieved email from the person I want to contact. I hardly ever look up email contacts, instead I search for a email from them.

Which of course leads to somewhat long and unhelpfull titles…

I’m stuck in the middle on this one. I hate getting LONG emails that have like ten replies back and forth in them, and yet there are occasions where the email may seem a bit “cryptic” if I didn’t have the previous message as a reference point. I am still half old school half new tech when it comes to day to day business. I keep paper records with notes on every client and prospect so I have those as a backup reference, but it’s easier to scroll down a bit on the computer and see our last conversation verbatim. I usually try to start a new email, referencing our previous conversation once the email reaches four or five replies.

Chaz -

What I usually do when I have a long email thread going is to go back and delete all of the replies save the last from both myself, and the recipient. That way there’s reference to the last thing both parties were discussing. It’s a bit more exact than just touching on the points in a new email, and much less cumbersome than keeping the entire thread of discussion.