do you buy domains on impulse?

i have friends with hundreds of domains. they get a whacky name in mind or an idea or two or three words that sound fun together and they buy the domain - just in case. i’ve always waited till i had an idea for a site in mind before buying a domain, but this morning i came close to my first impulse domain buy. then, as i was about to buy it, i thought “what what i actually do with this?” and moved on.

so how about you? do you buy domains on whacky impulses or come up with a concept for a site and then try and find the perfect domain for it?

Re: do you buy domains on impulse?

i have been good at keeping my impulse buys to a minimum but it does happen from time to time…

I sometimes get a feeling I have a good concept and buy a few domains, but then after some time, it turns out I bought them more out of a whacky impulse. Examples would be: biggestcockever.net and shootinghotcum.com. :wink:

The words for the first one actually appear frequently and consistently in my logs. Btw. Perhaps I should put blogs on both of these domains until I figure out what to do with them exactly. Is that a good idea?

And there were several more I bought over the past years and let them expire without ever using them. It’s not such a big loss anyway. Domains are cheap nowadays.

I mostly buy them on impulse, that’s why I have to setup sites now for about 500 unused domains :smiley:

yes. More so in the past than now. Ended up with hundreds of unused domains that just keep getting renewed for projects I thought would be great that never seem to materialize.

I’m more controlled now and tend to buy as needed for new projects only.