Do customers care about the different types of SSL certs?

Given that you can spend everything from $15 to $1500 on an SSL certificate, has anyone noticed any difference in customer behavior based on the type of certificate being used? Do EV certs do better - with the green browser bar and often the name of the company displayed? Or are the cheaper certs just as good?

I’m asking in part because of a mainstream client (a big multi-national publishing company). I got them to switch from Verisign to Thawte to reduce costs, but wondering whether even Thawte is more than they need. The last two sites they’ve renewed they’ve had problems getting EV certs, so they’ve gotten less expensive ones. I’m thinking I should drop my recommendation for EV certs - consumers don’t seem all that concerned about SSL these days - they just sorta take it for granted.

Re: Do customers care about the different types of SSL certs?

I only think it’s important to have an EV SSL on (e-)bank sites and stores, I only have 1 EV for my store, all others are basic

I chose Verisign for my EV as it is widely used and known all over, the basic ones are just the cheapest I could get