do any hosts offer timely wordpress updates?

i’m wondering if there are any hosts - and i suppose this would be mostly virtual hosts - who not only offer wordpress but update the version of wordpress when security updates are offered. this would be a very good thing to know!

Re: do any hosts offer timely wordpress updates?

While that sounds like a host made in heaven, unless they are also willing to turn on and verify/update all of your plugins and that the template you’re using isn’t causing a conflict, you could wake up and find your sites not working.

Most hosts I know use cPanel and it is up to them to go and do the updates for Fantastisco. Frankly, some are weeks behind, while others are actually almost right there.

I have switched to the Wordpress Automatic Update, that will do the upgrade, when prompted by me, immediately one is available. It backs up the db and does it all, so it is easier than if I go get the files, unzip, etc… saves me those steps and faster than the hosts.

If hosted by wordpress, I believe the upgrades are automatic. Not sure about those free blogging hosts though.

Yes if you’ve edited your templates or have plug ins an auto update could cause trouble.

I usually ask my host to update all my wordpress when I see a new update and he do it for me. My host is natnet

The NatNet techies will do updates and provide any other technical help within a few minutes after opening up a ticket. I can get you setup on a virtual from $75/mo (sorry, we don’t do any small virtuals).

I usually follow GTP’s way with NatNet. I do one install myself and “test” it. Then put a support ticket for them to do the rest. Takes them hardly any time at all to do the updates.

The Cpanel/Fantastico route can be more trouble than it’s worth. Many times when you install a script, you don’t even get the current version.