deciding to chose revshare or pps

Other than hearing that a certain site doesn’t have good rebills, how do you know which to choose: being paid by revshare or paid per signup? Is one a better choice in general?

I know this is so newbie basic but, hey…gotta ask.

Re: deciding to chose revshare or pps

Generally speaking, if a sponsor has a PPS, I take it. Here’s my explanation.

By simply offering PPS a sponsor is going to have many more affiliates promoting them because there’s a whole segment of our population who just will not touch revshare. More affiliates promoting a sponsor is great for the sponsor, but not so great for webmasters. With thousands of affiliates all trying to make $35 a sale, there’s going to be lots of stuff out there, and this makes the surfers weary.

I used to run a TGP that got 30-40 Broke Straight Boys gallery submissions every day – same content over and over again.

A word of caution … when people say “So and so doesn’t rebill well” you have to consider this is one person’s experience. Every affiliate site, be it a blog, a hub, a link list, freesites, an AVS site, whatever is different. It has it’s own population of surfers and they act and react in a pretty unique way to that site. A Gay Demon surfer may not act as a Hunk Hunter surfer does, and JUB surfers may be different yet again; and surfers reading my Foreskin Fever blog may have different clicking patterns than your blog’s surfers. Sure, there are usually some commonalities and patterns, but not always.

In my AVS hay day, I could sell bear sites on Mancheck like crazy, but Euro guy / uncut cock sites, not so much. And the same sites, didn’t sell for me on UGAS, although my biz partner did very well using the same content on his UGAS sites. And likewise, he sold sponsor memberships on UGAS full-page ads, and I never did very well with those.

So, in a round about way, I’m trying to say, “take it with a grain of salt” and “try it out yourself.” You have to find what works with your traffic.

So, for instance, I know that you’ve been looking at the Gunz Blazing sites for your blog, so why not try this. For the next three months promote Rear Stable as PPS and Hairy Boyz as revshare. At the end of the three months, evaluate. Actually, since you’re just getting your blog off the ground, you may need to do six months to get a good impression of what’s going on.

But one thing is for sure, if a sponsor offers a cheap $3.95 trial, I always take PPS. I just got a revshare sale for the site Daddy Mugs, I made $1.35 or something. The site has three short trials under $10, so the chances of getting a rebill aren’t great. (I don’t know what this guy is doing.) A few months back, I was going to promote his site more heavily, but when I saw all those trials I just knew I’d be killing myself for $1.35 sales.

[QUOTE=tim;66743]Other than hearing that a certain site doesn’t have good rebills, how do you know which to choose: being paid by revshare or paid per signup? Is one a better choice in general?

I know this is so newbie basic but, hey…gotta ask.[/QUOTE]

I often use a simple rule:

Bad site = PPS
Good site = Revshare

But I also look at sites every 6 months and re-evaluate what I should use. Majority of the sites I promote are on CCBill and only offer revshare.

For me on a day to day basis, about 1/2 of all sales I have are rebills and that’s worked out very well for me. It saves me from big spikes up or down and most days are fairly similar in terms on income.

Some sites there is no point selling on Revshare, if the site is tiny, low quality or value then you might as well do PPS if the option is there. Just ask yourself if you would get disappointed from signing up to a site, if Yes… do PPS.

[QUOTE=tim;66743]Other than hearing that a certain site doesn’t have good rebills, how do you know which to choose: being paid by revshare or paid per signup? Is one a better choice in general?

I know this is so newbie basic but, hey…gotta ask.[/QUOTE]

For me it’s a matter of testing. Try both and see what works best. With the script I gave you, it’s easy to switch linking codes from PPS to revshare and the other way around.

My own experience is that PPS is the best choice for most sponsor-sites.

I can see the logic and practicality in all of what was written. It makes sense.

Randy Blue, for instance, is a well known site. I figure they must get a reasonable amount of business and rebilling. So I figure revshare. But then they do have, I think, a trial added, so I think PPS. Therefore, testing it out seems like the only way to tell. Of course, my blog is not visited or stable yet, so anything I test out now may not yield reliable results.

Off the subject, but Randy Blue is a tricky one. Some of their models and shoots go with my niche and others do not. It’s like half and half. So that’s another aspect of sales, picking sites that those surfing my site/niche would want to pay for once they get inside and see the range. I was thinking of putting some page on my site that briefly explains sort of what to expect for each sponsor (not a review really, and no stats on how many pics, videos, etc.). Just what kind of content/men they have. So if they go to Randy Blue, they know to expect guys in their twenties, muscle jocks (part of my niche) as well as mixed with men who are not muscular.

If a site has the non recur option, it’s a no brainer, market it as PPS as you will never make $35 a sale with the non recur option.

I have almost always been a PPS guy as I like my money upfront, even if it’s less in the long haul. For me $35 is better in my pockets now than a potential $50 payout over 6-8 months. It’s all about the time value of money.

p.s. The other danger of Revshare is when they change their pricing and add a trial. I was marketing one sponsor on revshare then they decided to add a trial. I was making less that $2 a signup and the site just did not convert from trial to full membership for me.

My logic is a bit of Bjorn’s and a bit of Michael’s…

Good site + well matched to the traffic on my site - Rev Share

Else

PPS available - PPS

Else

PPS not available - Rev Share

yeah, that sounds reasonable all around

I would agree , if the site is good, unsaturated and finely tuned to your surfer then revshare everytime, if its pretty average and pretty saturated site and a longer shot to get rebills then use PPS.

Welcome, thanks for joining Libby!

what specifically do you mean by “unsaturated” and “saturated”? I would guess a saturated site would mean having many affiliates promoting it, which I’d associate with a good site rather than an average one.

[QUOTE=gaydemon;66754]I often use a simple rule:

Bad site = PPS
Good site = Revshare

[/QUOTE]

But, does it really matter if a site is good or bad when 70% choose the non recur option?

No, this isn’t necessarily true … it simply means that everyone wants to earn $35 PPS sale. There are tons of Topbucks sites that I wouldn’t give as a present to my worst enemy and they have tons of affiliates promoting them.

the well-matched to your traffic part is important, but sometimes a tour will make it seem that the site will be a niche where on the inside it’s mostly generic or the guys shooting the content don’t understand the niche.

Wow, I think this whole thread needs turning on its head - It seems specifically “Affiliate” driven… Michael - can you put the “Sponsors” position forward? I’m real tied up right now but will try to chime back in a few days :wink:

The bottom line is w/ PPS you are going to make a given amount of money per sale. No more no less. It maybe $30 - $40. With revshare you MAY make more or you MAY make less. Now, it’s damn hard to make $35 per sale when over 1/2 your traffic chooses a non recur option. I look and see if the non recur is there before I market revshare as if it’s there it usually means I will never make more than $30 a sale.

Of course you really have to look at your conversions as well. Some PPS sites don’t convert while others convert like crazy.

When I was an affiliate I was at about 70% PPS and 30% Revshare as my mix. I think maybe out of the 100 revshare sites I marketed, maybe 5 made me more than $30 per sale on average.