collage designs - what makes them good?

On another board i saw people talking about doing collages for blogs and as i want to get started on doing this i was wondering …

what makes a collage good, what to remember to do and what not to do when making collages …

so any pointers you can give off on this ?

Re: collage designs - what makes them good?

variety
clear, sharp pics
a good plan of how to fit the pics together
using pic separation that works with your pages

and here’s something i see a lot that doesn’t seem good - collages that don’t show the action they’re talking about. when a guy clicks a search engine result to see what he reads, it’s probably a good idea to give him a little of that. so if your blog talks two guys having an incredible fuck, the collage pics should show some fucking.

hehe i hear you… wondering if you or anyone else could show off a couple that they feel work good and comment on why they think they are good and a couple that they dont feel are good and again comment on why they feel this way…

I’ll second that one… to borrow a line from Oliver Twist, Please Ma’am Can I have some more… :rolleyes:

There really is no bad collage and good collage. A collage should fit the personality of your blog.

The most popular gay blog is Queer Click by far. Here is an example of their collages:
http://www.queerclick.com/archive/2008/12/cocky_boys_tyler_durden.php

Now, on the opposite end is naked straight guys. (They obviously are bonding with surfers in a much different way.)
http://www.nakedstraightguys.com/sean-cody/chris-and-mitch/

I goto NSG almost every day just to see what the fuck they did with their latest update.

If you go by QC standards, a collage will contain 8-12 images, be 450 pixels wide, and no longer than 3000 pixels.

HTH,
Lloyd

believe me, lloyd, i’ve seen bad collages. for example, some are very repetitious - you have to look closely to realize that 3 of the pics aren’t the exact same pic. then there are very low quality collages that are grainy and blurry. or some that are cropped weirdly.

Okay, some conflicting answers here.

So what would you say is a standard width or effective width of a collage? 400, 500, 600, or what?

Then length seems to be intersting, I mean 3000 pixels? That seems bit long, so again, what average would you say one should be, or should it be staggered, say make one 1200, another after 2000 or should they be kept to a low length?

I agree with you on that one.

[QUOTE=Gaystoryman;31897]Okay, some conflicting answers here.

So what would you say is a standard width or effective width of a collage? 400, 500, 600, or what?

Then length seems to be intersting, I mean 3000 pixels? That seems bit long, so again, what average would you say one should be, or should it be staggered, say make one 1200, another after 2000 or should they be kept to a low length?[/QUOTE]

The longer the better. From talks I have had with two big bloggers, the longer in proportion to the width, the better the CTR is. I like pics that are 450-500 pixels wide as I love three column themes and I like my columns to be “busy”. Would rather have space for bigger ads on the column than bigger pic width in the blog itself.

Does that make sense?

To explain it another way, it’s really about hierarchy on the page.

ROFL naked straight guys cracks me up…

nicely done who ever is doing it…

and thank you for the examples Lloyd

[QUOTE=Mickey;31919]ROFL naked straight guys cracks me up…

nicely done who ever is doing it…

and thank you for the examples Lloyd[/QUOTE]

Don’t you like that site? I think just how they do the collages gets surfers to come back.