Changing / hiding a URL

Can anybody help me with this…

I want to change the URL of a custom store I have set up with a program to display as www.mysite.com/myurl instead of www.theirsite.com/affiliateid=1223&blablabla

Is this something I have to do with a htaccess file and how would it do it?

Re: Changing / hiding a URL

If I’m right it’s doable with a frameset.

Thanks, I don’t really want to use a frameset.

This is what the affiliate manager said, if it helps:

You can do a redirect of the cinema URL to the URL of your choice. This can be done at the DNS Server level.

Maybe he means through htaccess?

Michael

Are you on an Apache server?

If so add the Apache mod_proxy and use the proxypass directive :smiley:

You can also use a PHP linkout script where you have a database of URLs with codes you provide and the url the customer see’s would have your URL and a php database code that would take then to the URL offsite.

You can always do an “on mouse over” cloak as well

<a
href=“A
onmouseover=“window.status=‘B’; return true;”
onmouseout=“window.status=’’; return true;”>
C
</a>

sneaky 666

You could ask the sponsor to allow you to use a domain pointer. They may let you.

Yes, something to do with htaccess is what I assume he means.

I just want it to integrate almost seemlessly into my existing site, but unless you have tonnes of traffic they don’t want to put any of their time in, which is fair enough.

If they say it can be done with DNS then what they’re talking about is a subdomain. So instead of www.mysite.com/myurl it would be something like store.mysite.com - however, they have to handle things on their end as well so they know that traffic that comes in on store.mysite.com is your traffic. I just did this with AEBN so vod.rawtop.com would go to the right theater. To implement this you use a CNAME entry in your DNS server.

The other option to do exactly what you described is to create a php document at www.mysite.com/myurl.php and have it contain the following PHP code…

<?php header("Location:http://www.theirsite.com/affiliateid=1223&blablabla",TRUE,302); ?>

OR, you can do it in htaccess…

RewriteRule ^myurl$ http://www.theirsite.com/affiliateid=1223&blablabla [R=302,L]

That htaccess file has to be in the directory of the URL in question. If you have access to the VirtualHost file you would add something similar, but slightly different…

RewriteRule ^/myurl$ http://www.theirsite.com/affiliateid=1223&blablabla [R=302,L]

Notice the leading slash on the URL… Both assume that you have mod_rewrite on and have already called RewriteEngine On

There is also a way to do what is essentially a CNAME entry in DNS but for the root domain. We primarily use Enom’s DNS and I can simply point any domain to an unrelated domain, for example, joeschmow.com goes seamlessly to www.myspace.com/joeschmow.

The only catch is, I think it redirects (meaning the Myspace URL shows up) rather than hiding the URL.

I think what Chip mentioned is what that Rep means.

You can try and ask your host to forward www.mydomain.com/myurl to the affiliate store URL. Not 100% sure but some hosts or Domain companies call it web forwarding.

I think it will have to be so that it always remains the same URL, ie the URL wont change as you navigate the site. There would be no other way of doing it really. Unless you assign the URL over to the affiliate program to manage.

Like I do with http://connect.gaydemon.com.

My DNS record redirects any requests for connect. to a 3rd party server IP. However thats more work the affiliate program and normally they restrict that to affiliates with a certain amount of sales.

[quote=gaybucks_chip;20370]There is also a way to do what is essentially a CNAME entry in DNS but for the root domain. We primarily use Enom’s DNS and I can simply point any domain to an unrelated domain, for example, joeschmow.com goes seamlessly to www.myspace.com/joeschmow.

The only catch is, I think it redirects (meaning the Myspace URL shows up) rather than hiding the URL.[/quote]

Thanks, yeah. I think thats what I mean. Will have a chat with you if that’s okay.

It’s exacltly what the sponsor program said… they weren’t willing to do anything unless they saw I was directing many sales. But I always think of the chicken or egg. Unless it looks professional, who would want to buy? Or am I wrong?