Build a Fake Tube Site with Wordpress Tutorial

I am going to build about a dozen fake tube sites using Wordpress. Why?

Because I feel that they’re the “new” mgp. Just as the blog itself is the “new” free site. They’re dynamic, they allow reader interaction (which is almost mandatory for any site these days), they allow for instant notification of new material, and for now - blogs are loved by the search engines.

They’re also a wonderful tool that sponsors can build and offer affiliate tracking with so long as they only promote their own site with it.

(Note to BlogsOrganizer users: since this build method I’m using has to use Wordpress and a premium wordpress template that handles the video display, I’m pretty sure you won’t be able to build it within BO and have it work with your affiliate module.)

Before I go any further, be advised that this project requires a Premium template … and it costs $75 for one domain, or $250 for unlimited developer use. If you absolutely can’t afford it, then send me a PM and we’ll try and work something out.

I will be working on these sites during the Mercury retro phase**, (Sept 24-Oct.14) so I got everything ready and started now (while Mercury is direct) so I had a good size project to tackle in a few days. If you want to follow along - go get a domain for your tube site, and go ahead and install the latest version of Wordpress to your domain root.

Get yourself organized as to what sponsors have hosted tube sized videos you can use/embed, or if you’re willing to foot the bandwidth, get folders organized by sponsor and get some videos uploaded. Don’t jump too far ahead on preparing things like plugins, (do activate akismet or spamkarma 2) as there are several things that will get configured differently with the template we will be using to pull this off, and it has some plugins packed with it already.

**I’m a firm believer in the affect Mercury in Retro has on my life. I try NOT to start new projects, launch new sites, buy electronic equipment, sign contracts, etc during retro. I save retro time for working on projects already started, and attending to detail/grunt work.

To be continued …

Re: Build a Fake Tube Site with Wordpress Tutorial

This sounds like fun Bec, I’ve put this as a sticky so those participating can easily find it, and so it’ll be easier for me to find too whistle

Can you maybe explain what you mean by a ‘premium’ theme as you are meaning it? Such as why won’t a regular free theme work?

I am truly excited about this, Thanks Bec :slight_smile:

Well thank you Ian for the sticky pin! Much appreciated!

This will be a new adventure for me too Barnkin … so anything you guys see, have an idea about, ask, figure out, or share about what you do with your site(s) will certainly go a long way at making future builds much smoother!

As to the Premium vs free template: this template I’ll be using was built to use Wordpress as a CMS and to specifically tailor a way to show the thumbs on the main page, and then show an embedded video page with description when that’s clicked. The theme also allows the creation of one “category” that can be designated as a “blog”, which in turn creates another section that is an actual blog website. So when done, we can have both a blog and a tube site all in one.

This is how the front of the site can look, you’ll notice the sidebar has plenty of room for ads and uses the widget feature, plus it shows your latest blog POST titles.

Once you click on the video thumb you go to a page like this:

The actual blog pages look like the second page, but without the big video display at the top of the page.

Very nice !!

awesome looking stuff, this should be a real winner…

On Demand is the name of the template. You could use the Video Elements, but you won’t have the ability to include a blog along with the tube type pages. Also, the author says the On Demand has addressed some issues and requests from users of the Video Elements, so it’s actually the newest of the template releases.

By all means, check out the more info link and play with the demo.

The template comes with all but one of the plugins we’ll be using for how it displays. Stop over here Lesterchan.net and download the wp-pageviews plugin. We’ll have to add the code it needs to the template so it displays the number of times a video has been watched.

Okie Dokie, I got my copy, got Wordpress installed in a sub directory on my ‘gay-erotic-story’ domain, have the plugins uploaded, the theme, and even got the plugins upgraded to the latest versions.

I am ready to go on activating the theme, and setting up the options.

I am sooo excited, like a kid in his first candy store… lol

So my first question, is where does the ‘optional’ folder go? Plugins obvious to the plugin directory, theme to the theme directory. Optional???
[INDENT]Note: I set up a separate directory on my hard drive, for the entire set up, so that I keep my original files of this, clean. I think it is easier if you simply copy them to a new directory, to work on the files, thus always having a clean backup in case you screw up, which I tend to do very often.
[/INDENT]

I have to read up on the optional - but off the top of my head, i think it lays out the front page differently. Like all the boxes go straight down in one line instead of the gallery look in the above sample. Did it say anything about it in the pdf?

Ok, use the Optional as your template when you are building to larger than 1024x wide: “This version of the theme is optimized for screen resolutions over 1024px wide.” So it isn’t about how the front page lays out.

oh boy, decisions, decisions, :bang: so for the purposes of this project, what you figure? Use the standard or go for the ‘larger than 1024’? option?

I was just taking some laundry over to sort and running that through my head, and I’m thinking that it won’t be long before 1024x goes the way of 800x. I’m tempted to go ahead and try the optional template just to see where it “starts”. If it starts up at 1024 then that’s the one I’m using.

#header {
width: 1068px;

So the optional will start with a 1068x width, so anyone at 1024 is going to be scrolling right about 60 pixels. hmmm … i’m head banging right along with ya LOL

OK OK …i’m staying with the original and am comfy knowing I won’t have to buy a new template to go bigger later on.

Yeah I think I’ll stay with the original as well.

I am running a little behind you, but am with you !!

that’s okay, we’ll let you catch up :whip:

Ok, i’ve got wordpress installed, the theme is up, I’ve sent up the plugins, and made the .htaccess for the root. I chmoded my theme files to 777 so I can edit them in the admin area. I’m about to make me a custom header, and then start on the pdf file of what to do next. http://www.gayvidtube.com

Optional plugins others may want to consider:

SEO Smart Links
http://www.prelovac.com/vladimir/wordpress-plugins/seo-smart-links

DD Sitemap Generator
http://www.dagondesign.com/articles/sitemap-generator-plugin-for-wordpress/

Maxblog Press Ping Optimizer
http://www.maxblogpress.com/go.php?offer=demonduck&pid=6 (you do have to register to get an activation code, but it’s worth it!)

this will be right up my allley :slight_smile: going to make 3 tubes…

Glad to have you joining in on the build party!