blogger arrested by fbi for violating federal copyright laws

gee, i’m sure this is the best use of the fbi ever :-/ while i don’t support copyright violation, i feel this is overkill. maybe that’s just me, but i think the guy could have been taken to court without the other stuff.

"LOS ANGELES – A blogger suspected of streaming songs from the unreleased Guns N’ Roses album “Chinese Democracy” on his Web site was arrested Wednesday and appeared in court, where his bail was set at $10,000.

FBI agents arrested 27-year-old Kevin Cogill on Wednesday morning on suspicion of violating federal copyright laws. Cogill appeared in court in the afternoon wearing a T-shirt; his girlfriend sat court and afterward said, "Rally the troops," but declined further comment.

Federal authorities say Cogill posted nine unreleased Guns N' Roses songs on his Web site in June. The songs were later removed.

In later posts, Cogill wrote that the FBI had questioned him and asked his readers if any of them knew a good attorney. He was represented Wednesday by a federal public defender.

According to an arrest affidavit, Cogill admitted to agents that he posted the songs on his Web site. Prosecutors said Wednesday the leak could result in a "significant" financial loss for the band.

Cogill will not face any special Internet restrictions, but was ordered to appear in court for a preliminary hearing on Sept. 17.

"Guns N' Roses representatives have been made aware of the arrest and are leaving the matter to the authorities," said Larry Solters, the band's spokesman.

"Chinese Democracy" is a much anticipated — and repeatedly delayed — new album by Guns N' Roses that is more than 10 years in the making. At least one of the album's songs could be heard legally: The band wrote on its Web site in July that its track, "Shackler's Revenge" will be featured on the video game Rock Band 2, slated for release in September."

http://news.yahoo.com/story/ap/20080828/ap_en_ot/blogger_arrested;_ylt=ArSfN3GbMVVal6pJpnjU5EKs0NUE

Re: blogger arrested by fbi for violating federal copyright laws

Stealing is stealing, so why would this be overkill?

because we have remedies for that situation that don’t include arrests by the fbi. using the fbi means it costs taxpayers more money, as does the arrest itself. since either way the case would go to the exact same court, arrest is not considered a punishment in this country, and none of the other smaller copyright violators i’ve read about were arrested, it makes no sense to me to do it this way.

in the u.s., we have more citizens per capita in jail than any other industrialized nation. there are other effective ways to deal with legal issues.

well apparently your country CAN and DOES use the FBI for that - and now this thief is costing you (* as in everyone) money as well … good! - lets hope that all US citizens start thinking twice about allowing these thieves to operate and helping them make money by using their services.

ok, this whole thing begs the question: how did he get the unreleased tracks to begin with??

I wonder how many people overseas got the feed, copied it, and are now redistributing it on foreign servers.

that’s what i was wondering. the tracks shouldn’t have been available to anyone except the band and the studio and mixing guys.

Does that actually matter ???

As far as what he did with them … no. But this whole thing smaks of culpability that goes beyond his posting the tracks from his website.

actually i feel it does. if the blogger himself doesn’t work at the studio, the actual thief - the person who knowingly and illegally took the tracks - gave those tracks to him. seems like that person is guilty of a crime, too - and without that person, the blogger couldn’t have posted the tunes in the first place.

Wasn’t a girl fined something like $200k for uploading a couple of Beyonce songs a few years ago?
and now you can see all the videos on YouTube lol

perhaps that is why it is an FBI issue? as a crime was done that goes beyond just posting some music, so by going after him, they get a way to find out how he got them? nothing like a bit of jail time to make one sing whistle

well, you could be right, butwhat the article said is all the info i have.

It’s not like anyone wants to hear that stupid Guns & Roses album anyway.

[QUOTE=basschick;21148]because we have remedies for that situation that don’t include arrests by the fbi. using the fbi means it costs taxpayers more money, as does the arrest itself. since either way the case would go to the exact same court, arrest is not considered a punishment in this country, and none of the other smaller copyright violators i’ve read about were arrested, it makes no sense to me to do it this way.

in the u.s., we have more citizens per capita in jail than any other industrialized nation. there are other effective ways to deal with legal issues.[/QUOTE]

Patti I know you know this, but the FBI is the right agency to do this.
The FBI is in charge of over seeing all investigations of copyright law in the US.

Thats why we post it up front the FBI WARNING on all our videos.

FBI Card.gif

[QUOTE=camcruise;21244]Patti I know you know this, but the FBI is the right agency to do this.
The FBI is in charge of over seeing all investigations of copyright law in the US.

Thats why we post it up front the FBI WARNING on all our videos.[/QUOTE]

Thanx for the fbi grafix :slight_smile: will use it too on my piss vids if i make more :slight_smile:

Seems this is some great free publicity for a has been band, that no longer has slash or wtf his name was, so not sure how good the album was even lol…but he got what he deserved.

BINGO, Bec.

What do u wanna bet that the blogger in question was arrested etc just to turn him? I bet you dollars to donuts that he’s singing like a canary right now about how he got the tracks etc.

He’ll never face jail. He’ll get immunity to testify etc.

The FBI is really interested in those higher up the food chain.

[QUOTE=basschick;21148]because we have remedies for that situation that don’t include arrests by the fbi. using the fbi means it costs taxpayers more money, as does the arrest itself. since either way the case would go to the exact same court, arrest is not considered a punishment in this country, and none of the other smaller copyright violators i’ve read about were arrested, it makes no sense to me to do it this way.

in the u.s., we have more citizens per capita in jail than any other industrialized nation. there are other effective ways to deal with legal issues.[/QUOTE]

I disagree totally. This is why I PAY Taxes. If someone steals from me, or streams my stuff online without my permission, I would expect and DEMAND that the FBI investigate and arrest. Why should I have to hire lawyers (at my expense) and try to pursue in civil court when a CRIME has been committed.

He does not have to go to jail, but he could be fined and then Guns and Roses could get their $$$ through the victims assistance programs of the courts.

I say good job FBI.

LOL. You are right on Jasun! BINGO!

Perhaps the FBI agent was a bitter G&R fan.

I gave up caring many years ago.