Blog Export Import Question

So, one of my blogs has a problem with a theme, nothing new in my world, but it works on other sites, same server.

I am wondering if I simply export the posts, etc, to a new fresh install, new database and change the actual location from say folder A to folder B, if that would correct the oddity. I think the db has been compromised, hence why it won’t accept any new theme install.

So would a new db, with the same files in xml just be transfering the headache to another db? I ain’t no techie… so anyone got an insight?

Re: Blog Export Import Question

I have done this a few times for various reasons, and it has corrected data base problems before.

Do you have any comments on your blog though that could contain some suspicious html code ? or php even if you have the plugin for that installed.

Working on the assumption they don’t, Then exporting the contents like you say should do the trick.

[quote=Andyr;35152]I have done this a few times for various reasons, and it has corrected data base problems before.

Do you have any comments on your blog though that could contain some suspicious html code ? or php even if you have the plugin for that installed.

Working on the assumption they don’t, Then exporting the contents like you say should do the trick.[/quote]

None that I am aware of, ran a plugin program that checks for it, and it says they are clean, but… something isn’t working right. I figure an install to a new db, new location for the files, should do the trick. If it was the themes, I would assume they wouldn’t work on any configeration, but they do, so has to be on my end.

Thanks.

One sure way to test the basic handling of posts etc is to load the default theme and see if the very basics work at least…

Actually in 2.7 you can test that just by selecting another theme, and when it opens up in the lightbox preview it is fully functional without having to commit to using it ! … Very useful IMO, saves having to mess with the theme preview plug in. (that has its uses though)

Just thought I would add that bit info for others benefit…

To me it does look like you need to carry out the steps you outlined in your previous post.

However if you would like me to to take a look at it for you and see if there is a quicker solution / easy fix then I don’t mind helping out and doing so… That would mean you would have to give me full admin to the site and also make sure the themes files and folder are all set to CHMOD 777 and outline the specific problem if it is not immediately apparent that is.

Entirely up to you I don’t mind either way :slight_smile:

Thank you, appreciate the offer, and might take you up on it, if the new install doesn’t work. Want to change its location anyhow, so this gives me a good reason.

The exact problem was that in the preview, it showed just fine, and on the front end, it loads just fine, but it then makes it impossible to enter the admin, well to use it, as it shows nothing but errors saying header already called in, and blah blah blah.

Only way to get back to admin, is to delete the theme. So that makes me think it is something resident in the db, that is blocking or corrupting the install. Tried it on another blog, db. on same server, and it worked just fine, so it is specific to this db.

If this doesn’t work, I’ll definately hit you up for taking a look see. much appreciated.

Ian