Best hosting for blog??

hi i’m new here and wanna start doing “business” :smiley: by making a couple blog.
my question is where should i host it? as many ppl said blog doesnt exhaust bandwidth i guess. so should i go with cheap hosting like hostgator or should i go with the expensive one like cyberwurx as “neighbor” forum always recommended that.
usually how much bandwidth for one blog per month?

Re: Best hosting for blog??

go with a quality host that uses only premium tier-1 bandwidth and uses a multihomed mix too (make sure your host does not use cogent bandwidth). Websites that load fast attract more bookmarkers and result in less people shutting the browser down or going to the next blog instead.

As for actual hosts, I would not recommend hostgator, dreamhost, etc.

I would try HostHead or Nakehosting:

http://www.gaydemon.biz/links/browselinks.php?c=5

how much bandwidth a blog uses depends on several things. first off, it will depend on traffic. there are blogs that get 200 hits per day and blogs that get 20,000, and they won’t use even close to the same amount of bandwidth.

second, how much bandwidth you use will depends on if you will be hosting your own blog pics/vids or if you’ll be using RSS feeds.

third, if you’re hosting your own content, the average size of each pic or video will affect how much bandwidth you use. if you use a few smaller pics, each blog post may use only 100k. if you use good quality large pics, each one could be 400k. if you go with videos, each one could be 2 mb.

i have nothing against cheap hosting but i definitely like good hosting. hosting that’s up, that’s fast, that has fast support. for me, managed hosting is a MUST. slow pages or periodic downtime can cost you thousands of dollars or even keep you from getting search engine listings. i’ve seen expensive hosts that suck, cheap hosts that work for me - and if downtime means anything to you, don’t go with dreamhost.

btw, i have a dedicated box at hosthead and 2 virtual accounts - one at caro.net and one at nakedhosting. after years of hosting problems, i find my hosting with all these hosts is good enough that i don’t have to worry about it and can spend my time working on my sites.

Basschick did you ever try Hosthead for Virtual and if so are they upto the job? I love my ded box with Hosthead.

Bringing up this old discussion because I’m wondering if people still have negative feelings for Hostgator. When researching hosting sites for my blog a year ago, I picked them because mostly what I saw was positive and because they accept adult sites. I started out with, and still use, their shared hosting, which is around $10/month. Except for one day in October, when my blog was down for about an hour because of a page cache issue, I haven’t had any problems with them. No one has complained about having problems loading my site – and I do use lots of large photos – but is it possible my site would do better if I switched to something like the VPS hosting that Host Head offers? I always figured that someday I’d have to switch to something like that or even dedicated hosting, but right now the amount of money I’m making per month would make even the VPS hosting hard to justify. On the other hand, if there’s a chance it would grow my blog even more, it’s something I’d definitely consider. Any feedback is welcome.

I’ve been very happy with ipage - very inexpensive ($4/month) and no bandwidth/storage limits, plus they have WP and tons of marketing tools pre-installed.

They have an affiliate program too that is pretty sweet (shameless plug)

http://www.ipage.com/join/index.bml?AffID=643376&LinkName=SMAB

Thanks, Adam. Hostgator also has the built-in WP stuff, too. I don’t think I’d want to go through the trouble of switching for shared hosting, but I’ll def. consider ipage if/when I switch to virtual or dedicated. And if I go with them, I’ll make sure to use your link!

I prefer to godaddy or you can go for dollar2host as well.

Hostgator isn’t that bad, the page loads fast and the customer service is awesome.
One thing I don’t like is the stats, bar graphs is not my favorite thing…

I’m not really hearing negative things about Hostgator lately, but you may wish to take a long look at Certified Hosting (aka Naked Hosting) if you decide to step up or over.