Bad cuts or long music

Today I had to take a strong decision: my editor warned me about a problem with a raw movie. It had too many dialogues and it was impossible cutting it avoiding “bad cuts” in the voice track. The easy solution was putting a long sensual music as background. No way. I preferred bad cuts. I think that a background music could kill the “effect” of the movie. What do you think about that?

Re: Bad cuts or long music

The first thing is to make sure that it isn’t shot that way again in future. There are ways of shooting that make editing more easy and effective.

I’ll give a simple example. Years ago I made a drama. It was on film so we had no playback on location. When we developed the film the camera operator had done a zoom out as someone walked up to a desk to say his dialogue.

If you cut before a zoom finishes it usually looks bad. Unfortunately the camera operator was slow with the zoom and the actor got to the desk before the zoom move was finished. When it came to editing, I needed to cut to a close-up for the line of dialogue but couldn’t until the zoom finished. I either had a messy cut on a zoom or a pause in the action. A more experienced camera operator would have know that the zoom should be finished by the time the actor reached the desk. Of course these days the director could watch live on a screen as it was recorded and spot the problem.

So maybe your camera person or director should have thought ‘how will someone edit this, with all this dialogue?’.

I haven’t seen it, so it’s hard to comment. There are various techniques that might work. But if it’s not in English that could complicate it for an editor that doesn’t speak the relevant language.

Often people don’t think about sound or there is a problem they can’t prevent when filming. On one shoot I did last year there was a person hammering in the background, so I had to remove that :wink: And a noisy police car siren just as someone was cumming. Which gave a hilarious effect and had to be fixed!

[QUOTE=DirtyRatStudios;13168]The first thing is to make sure that it isn’t shot that way again in future. There are ways of shooting that make editing more easy and effective.

I’ll give a simple example. Years ago I made a drama. It was on film so we had no playback on location. When we developed the film the camera operator had done a zoom out as someone walked up to a desk to say his dialogue.

If you cut before a zoom finishes it usually looks bad. Unfortunately the camera operator was slow with the zoom and the actor got to the desk before the zoom move was finished. When it came to editing, I needed to cut to a close-up for the line of dialogue but couldn’t until the zoom finished. I either had a messy cut on a zoom or a pause in the action. A more experienced camera operator would have know that the zoom should be finished by the time the actor reached the desk. Of course these days the director could watch live on a screen as it was recorded and spot the problem.

So maybe your camera person or director should have thought ‘how will someone edit this, with all this dialogue?’.

I haven’t seen it, so it’s hard to comment. There are various techniques that might work. But if it’s not in English that could complicate it for an editor that doesn’t speak the relevant language.

Often people don’t think about sound or there is a problem they can’t prevent when filming. On one shoot I did last year there was a person hammering in the background, so I had to remove that :wink: And a noisy police car siren just as someone was cumming. Which gave a hilarious effect and had to be fixed![/QUOTE]

So you’re live… ICQ seems to have problem today… damn… :grrr:

Been online and posting on here all day :smiley: