Apple is ditching the standard headphone jack to screw consumers and the planet

If the rumours are true, the new iPhone 7 will have a non-standard, proprietary headphone jack – making every pair of headphones on earth useless. Not only will this force iPhone users to dole out additional cash to replace their hi-fi headphones, it will single handedly create mountains of electronic waste – that likely won’t get recycled.

Sign the petition:
http://action.sumofus.org/a/iphone-headphone-jack/

Re: Apple is ditching the standard headphone jack to screw consumers and the planet

All iPhones come with headphones. I’m not seeing the problem.

Re: Apple is ditching the standard headphone jack to screw consumers and the planet

Yes, well they make disposable SHIT so not really a surprise that they don’t give a shit about the planet.

I am shocked at how the quality of their products has deteriorated to the point that they don’t even pretend that it is not intended to be replaced every year.

So they not only employ essentially slave labor to produce their overpriced shit but also have no regard for the planet - What a great corporation! :banana:

I still use my “laptop” for MUSIC / VIDEO / GAMES when traveling … the screens bigger! lol

• jim

I stay away from Apple products, personally. Not so much because of scenarios like this and their utter lack of care for the environment (it’s probably that all mobile unit companies are the same as Apple when it comes to waste), but because of the price. I’ve got a decent tablet I paid $200 for and it does all I need.

On the headphone note, they certainly are idiots for even attempting this. Headphones and their jacks are a standard which have been around for eons. If they think they’re going to reinvent the wheel then the folks at Apple really do suffer from serious delusions of grandeur.

I’ll go sign the petition, regardless. They shouldn’t be playing with fire like this.

This Will force iPhone users to dole out additional cash to replace their hi-fi headphones

I bolded the key word… Many music lovers buy expensive Hi-Fi headphones and don’t use the cheap ear buds included with the phone. If they want to use Apple products this change away from what has been an industry standard forces them to go out and by another adapter.

Granted not the end of the world but I’m certainly not the only one here that has noticed Apple as of recently keeps changing their adapters to proprietary adapters for no reason at all other than to keep people buying new accessories. It’s not enough that they want people replacing there phones every 6 months now they want accessories as well.

Kevin.

Y’all are funny. This article is crap. Apple makes some of the finest consumer electronic products in the world and wins awards for their products respect for the environment.

SMH.

Just because it’s on some random blog doesn’t mean it’s true nor does it mean it’s a negative.

Haters gonna hate.

What does this have to do with this original post? Did they say they didn’t?

As far as the environment the point being presented by the OP was that changing adapters to a proprietary one creates the need for the manufacturing of additional adapters which creates waste and only benefits Apple financially.

Kevin.

Apple is ditching the standard headphone jack to screw consumers and the planet

An adaptor that is the size of a chicklet is hardly anything disastrous to our landfills.

The removal of the headphone jack will make it so the device can be made thinner. Plus, better sound will be available from a newer Jack. Potentially with more features.

Just because it’s on some random blog doesn’t mean it’s true nor does it mean it’s a negative

Sum of Us is not some random blog, perhaps you should Google it, before calling it a random blog? Or you can go here to see for yourself.

you got to admit it’s annoying when something does not use a standard type and it’s not to the consumers benefit (never is).

it’s the same with phone chargers, i dont know how many different ones I have now at home. Just as you thought they would stick to normal USB they introduce something new that no one else uses. I don’t use Apple products myself as I don’t think they are very good but my partner does which means whenever we travel we have to have two sets of chargers, actually 3 now because my tablet and mobile use different ones and his iphone another.

I agree with most everything Teddy said.

As far as Apple’s yearly replacement plans being a sign of low quality – that’s just wrong. They’ve noticed that some customers want every model of phone they put out, and other customers want refurbished phones. There’s already a market for turning in your phone for money. This plan just capitalizes on that and Apple is taking over what third parties used to do. Given that they manufactured the phone and probably sold it, they’re in the perfect position to refurbish it and sell it again.

Even with the last model Apple was talking about how they might ditch the headphone jack completely and go with Bluetooth only. Apple is the biggest company on the planet because they innovate. They ditch old standards and give the world better ones. And sometimes they do that invisibly. Did you know you can attach a fiber optic cable to the headphone jack of your Macintosh or Airport router? Eventually the sound does need to be converted to analog to be heard, but Apple lets you do that conversion by the hardware of your choice. (Or to avoid it completely if you want to capture the original digital signal).

doesn’t apple own beats now? smart business move, they will upsell you beats or include some kind of beats earbuds to further that product line.

i do think its kind of shitty, you should be able to match whatever headphones you want to it. and i just looked on my iphone, i’m not sure i can really see them saving space with a thinner jack unless its not round?

I love Apple Fan Boys.

Apple keeps citing famous German designer Dieter Rams (Braun). They specifically cite Rams’s 10th principle: “Good design is as little design as possible”.
However, this is his 10th principle, not his 1st. It might be rewritten as, “If you’ve followed the first nine principles, well, it’s time to stop. Don’t start cluttering things up.” Apple has violated many of those earlier principles.

iOS is become a dog. Unfortunately it does not work a it should. Apple is always frantically trying to release updates to each iOS and every time, new problems are introduced.

So, for example when senior Apple tech advisors admit there is no solution to the cable transfer of photos to a PC, there is a major problem with important tasks. When senior tech advisors at Apple admit they have no clue how to fix a music folder that has grown from 70 GB on my PC to 150 GB on my PC because of the random duplicates all through it after the start of iTunes Match and then Apple Music.
And Apple’s greed and lack or concern does not stop there. There have been a few programs that would fix the messed up music files and the photo problems and back up your text messages. But in a quest to grab all functions and control for itself. Apple is restricting the functions of these programs with each release of iOS. These basic needs are the responsibility of Apple.
I have never had any digital camera without a way to access and download my photos. Apple’s previous methods don’t work with iOS 9 and they just say too bad. iCloud for Windows which techs are pushing more and more…

Not exactly related, but iTunes broke itself during the last update (or maybe a Windows update broke it) and now iTunes won’t recognize my iPod. So I dumped the iPod and transferred what I need to my Android phone. You lose Apple.

Apple seems to be going the way TGPs did when their popularity started declining and they all started trading traffic instead of giving surfers good galleries. Having sown fields of discontent, the TGPs chased all their surfers away.

I wonder when all the Apple-heads will stop lining up around the block every time Apple releases a new phone.