anyone here use thumblogger?

i was wondering if anyone here uses thumblogger to host their blogs. i was thinking if we were to do a blog workshop, this might be a viable option for some people to use.

thoughts?

Re: anyone here use thumblogger?

yes, i have some blogs hosted there…i would recommend using a WP based site instead since thumblogger is all based on proprietary software. Maybe their sister site sensualwriter.com.

sensualwriter says their stuff is “Based on Wordpress”. i wonder just how based it is. can wordpress be used on a free blog host? i wouldn’t think that worked with their terms… a blog host that used wordpress would be much better, since those who haven’t used wordpress before could learn it in the workshop.

I haven’t really looked at either myself, but from what I have seen, even the free hosted blogs at Wordpress aren’t quite the same as if one hosted WP on their own account/server. They have some major differences in how one can access, change, the theme, add plugins etc. Not sure how to go about it if people don’t have their own server/hosting account.

I have blogs on sensualwriter and on sexusblog. Ian’s right, they are wordpress based, but you don’t have the same abilities to install plugins, or upload your own themes. You also have to remotely host any images, as you can’t ftp to the site. If you aren’t html and widget savvy, you’ll likely have some initial problems getting a blog up and looking the way you want it to on the free hosts, but it’s certainly doable for a first timer.

AND … it isn’t my root domain site, and technically, I don’t believe I have to carry any 2257 for whatever shows up on it.

I use the Blogs Organizer to run mine remotely and fill them with various sponsor RSS feeds.

sensualwriter uses WPMU - as do loads of other freehosted blogging sites. Yes, you cannot install plugins and you are limited to their selection of templates, but its exactly the same interface as WP for doing everything else like writing posts, adding blogroll links, etc.

I thought it would be as close as it gets to a real WP blog, without the hassle of having all participants install WP themselves.

ps to Bec - hello there stranger, how you been?

Been thinking of you mate, and I promise to turn on ICQ just to muck with your head for a bit!! This past week or so I’m feeling MUCH better than I have felt in a LONG while, I guess various meds are finally leveling out, plus taking the time to heal from the surgeries certainly was warranted… it’s actually Che’ that’s been the medical drama around here lately.