Anyone have experence in grabbing a domain name from the clutches of a squatter?

A domain name that I desire expires this week. Has anyone successfully beaten the soulless domain name squatter enterprise to the punch and grabbed it back?

If a domain expires on August 25, is there a precise time I can be there to buy it? 00:01 August 26? I’m in Central Standard Time - do these things end on one international time, like GMT? The soulless squatter who owns it at the moment is in Ho Chi Min City, Vietnam. (Fuck you, Miss Saigon)

Does it matter if I hop on it using Network Solutions versus GoDaddy or someone else? I have accounts with both.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Re: Anyone have experence in grabbing a domain name from the clutches of a squatter?

According to this page It looks like you’re out of luck unless you want to purchase the domain from the person holding it or you can prove a trademark violation.

Kevin.

Re: Anyone have experence in grabbing a domain name from the clutches of a squatter?

It’s really difficult, I’ve tried before but it never just seems to work. Often it goes into another holding place even after it expire and then automatically to auction or a domain buyer.

Hmmm… see that’s weird. Then how did Miss Saigon buy it in the first place, as it was owned by Canadians before that?

Steve

Once a domain name expires there is a waiting period where the owner can renew it. Anywhere from a week to a year depending on the domain service. Then after that period ends it goes into a redemption period where the original owner can still renew it along with a redemption fee. After that it will either go back into a pool or somewhere else depending on the domain itself.

I know everyone here hates GoDaddy, but anyway … years ago, I had a hyphenated domain and I wanted the unhyphenated one, which someone else owned. I used GoDaddy’s back-ordering feature where I had to pay $25 or something for the privilege of having GoDaddy stand in line for me. There was no guarantee that I would end up with the domain, so win or loss, I paid $25. Then once I got the domain I think I had to pay the regular registration fee too.

I may have gotten some of the details wrong, this was probably ten years ago. However, I did end up with the domain. so perhaps this is worth looking into.

[QUOTE=dzinerbear;152227]I know everyone here hates GoDaddy, but anyway … years ago, I had a hyphenated domain and I wanted the unhyphenated one, which someone else owned. I used GoDaddy’s back-ordering feature where I had to pay $25 or something for the privilege of having GoDaddy stand in line for me. There was no guarantee that I would end up with the domain, so win or loss, I paid $25. Then once I got the domain I think I had to pay the regular registration fee too.

I may have gotten some of the details wrong, this was probably ten years ago. However, I did end up with the domain. so perhaps this is worth looking into.[/QUOTE]

Michael,

I believe you are referring to ‘snapnames.’ I’ve had some luck with them in the past. In fact I recently just scored ‘dannyz.com’ from them. It can take months to years to get the domains though, you just have to put a bid in on it and basically wait and hope you get lucky.

DONE!

Thanks for the suggestion, Michael.

Steve

No. Snapnames doesn’t sound familiar to me. I definitely remember it being called “back order” and in my entire time on the web, I have only used GoDaddy. Bought my first name there and I’m still with them.

Yeah I know what you mean. GoDaddy and most domain registrars still offer this service which is called a back order domain. As of today GoDaddy is offering this service for 20.98 per domain and it includes the 1 year registration.

With GoDaddy Domain Backorders, you choose the name and we’ll put you in position to get it. Just choose your .COM, .CO, .INFO, .ORG, .NET, .ME, .MOBI, .US, or .BIZ and we’ll do the rest – it’s that easy! Find out below how the backorder process works. Placing a domain backorder is essentially like putting a reservation on a domain name registered to someone else. If that domain name expires, you get a chance to register it before it’s available to the public.

http://www.godaddy.com/domainaddon/domain-backorders.aspx

A few years ago I researched this topic and found a site that explained the whole process and how you can determine not just the day but also an approximate time when a domain name goes back on the market. I was able to use this info for a nice non-adult site I started. The name is now valuable… I’ve had a few good offers to buy it!

But then last year I tried the same process and could not get a name I wanted. So I assume the squatters have gotten better at grabbing names.