Anybody heard of Planet Romeo

Has anybody heard of Planet Romeo?

I’ve heard of them; but, not in a long time. Good to see they are still around. Did something happen?

Back in the day they were a pretty significant hookup site. I remember going to obscure places and asking what the best hookup site was in that area and would be told Planet Romeo. Though I don’t think they ever dominated any of the major gay urban markets in the US.

I used to have an account there, and to be honest its quite a nice site to use. It had the usual hookup function, but also lots of active groups covering all sorts of kinks. I think its more popular in Central Europe and Asia than UK, USA etc.

Their name used to be Gay Romeo until they changed it a few years ago. I still have a semi-active free account there. I stopped the paid sub last year because I’m slowly dropping from the mainly targeted age group.

It’s always a bit difficult to find “real” guys as there are a lot of “fakers” around. But a few of my friends are still there and we stay in loose contact. The groups are also quite nice to find gay guys with shared interests.

But all in all it’s not what it used to be before they had a major design change to adopt a more modern style like Grindr. For example they totally dropped personal ads which were quite popular and when you search for guys, the filter options are not very useful and you get a lot of “false positives”.

Manhunt pretty much cornered the US market there for a while when it was still Gay Romeo.

Thanks for the replies and info. :slight_smile:

When I lived in Thailand about 10 years ago, it was the biggest gay personals site, especially for Asians looking for foreigners. It was extremely popular in Europe too. The last couple times I was back in Thailand I checked it out and I can say it definitely lost popularity there, felt like a ghost town!

Yeah, it used to be the Euro Manhunt in terms of size.

I think that mobile-native apps crushed it like it did all of the other legacy hookup sites that couldn’t get into the app store.

1 Like

We used to get good traffic off them back in the day… been a long time though