announcing our new link shortening service gay.gl

Announcing our latest new tool for our webmasters: gay.gl - the GayWideWebmasters link shortening service. Use this free service to take long URLs and squeezes them into fewer characters to make a link easier to share, tweet, or email to friends. For example, the short URL http://gay.gl/k is a convenient shorthand representation for the long URL http://join.eurotwinkin.com/track/MTQ1MDo0OjEw.

Gay.gl short URLs public and can be shared by anyone. Once created by you, no one else can change the URL. Additionally, these links do not expire. But please note, we do reserve the right to remove any gay.gl short URLs that we deem illegal, inappropriate or insecure.

So if you are tweeting, blogging, facebooking or just too lazy to repeatedly type out long URLs, why not use our new free service.

Click here to visit gay.gl and start using this neat new service now!

cheers
Luke

Re: announcing our new link shortening service gay.gl

So what is the difference between using gay.gl and any other link shortening service? I mean why use yours?

I’m guessing it is a custom skinned version of http://yourls.org/

Much better to install it (free) on your own domain name and have access to all its link clicking stats.

In my experience it does not always allow referral links to track properly - so I have stopped using it and my sales shot up again. Just a warning.

What rob said…

oh come on, you guys don’t see the fun in this? instead of goo.gl, you can use gay.gl to show that your link is to a gay site, isn’t that better??? and its totally short, so it saves you space on your tweets.

This thread got me thinking… Now that Google is following Twitter links I want a URL shortener that’s robots excluded. I’ll pass all the stuff from sponsor RSS feeds through it when using the feeds on Twitter. I just bought s3x.bz, and I found out Twitter Feed can work with custom URL shorteners :happy: so that means it won’t be a crazy amount of work… Should have it set up in a few days…

[QUOTE=rob;84146]I’m guessing it is a custom skinned version of http://yourls.org/

Much better to install it (free) on your own domain name and have access to all its link clicking stats. In my experience it does not always allow referral links to track properly - so I have stopped using it and my sales shot up again. Just a warning.[/QUOTE]

Aren’t these 301 redirects? And if so — in theory — it shouldn’t negatively effect your SEO, right? I’ve seen lots of sites starting to use these things — SEOmoz for example. What specifically is the negative?

Steve

In my experience it had trouble passing forward NATs affiliate links. The visitor got to the site, but without the tracking code being passed on correctly. When I stopped using it for affiliate links, conversions and clicks went up. Might be coincidence, but it is why I stopped using it.

I also used my own install of the script because I wanted access to the stats and I wanted to be able to edit links, and not entrust a 3rd party with either of those.

What rob said…might work fine with ccbill. But Encoded NATS links…hmmm. Needs more study. Maybe if you turn NATS Encoded links off???

So basically the owners of this site gay.gl can easily change your links with their codes if they choose to, right?

Plus I have never seen anyone using shortening service for affiliate links, usually it’s for links in general and not for affiliate links ?!?!

Once created by you, no one else can change the URL. Additionally, these links do not expire. But please note, we do reserve the right to remove any gay.gl short URLs that we deem illegal, inappropriate or insecure.

1. I don’t believe you that only I can change these links
  2. Why go through all of the trouble when in the end you can decide that a certain link is either insecure or inappropriate and just remove it and I would have to change all the links on my sites from gay.gl something back to what it was before.

Sorry, but only a complete noob would use this service. Anyway, good luck.

Besides we don’t want to see Luke spread’n any twitter worms :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.crn.com/news/security/228600171/twitter-worm-targets-mobile-users-via-goo-gl-link-service.htm

Yes - but I’m certainly not suggesting they would.

I just use mine for twitter links now. Tweetdeck can use the scripts API so it is completely automated.

yes it works with encoded NATS links, as per my sample in the announcement http://gay.gl/k linking to http://join.eurotwinkin.com/track/MTQ1MDo0OjEw

I would not put 10 years of really hard work and my reputation on the line to steal links or stats. This script does not even collect stats. But I absolutely have to reserve the right to remove links due to legal reasons.

I honestly think that webmasters doing modern gay marketing appreciate a free tool that gives them a short gay URL. Its near impossible and rather expensive to get gay.anything URLs these days, so using gay.gl in your tweets, txts or other social networking sites is ideal for showing off your link as being gay!

Actually, you are totally wrong, there are already a lot of very experienced webmasters using this service. And although I appreciate feedback, your post and your overall tone comes off as nothing but insulting, which I don’t appreciate and won’t bother responding to in the future.

Having used the script myself, it is unreliable with NATs links - and it looks like I am not the only one who has experienced this.

I would not put 10 years of really hard work and my reputation on the line to steal links or stats. This script does not even collect stats. But I absolutely have to reserve the right to remove links due to legal reasons.

The script does collect stats by default, it can of course be disabled though.

Actually, you are totally wrong, there are already a lot of very experienced webmasters using this service. And although I appreciate feedback, your post and your overall tone comes off as nothing but insulting, which I don’t appreciate and won’t bother responding to in the future.

What do you mean by ‘using this service’?

It has only created 16 links so far, two of which were tests by me. You might have “a lot of very experienced webmasters using this service” but certainly not in any quantity.

NO it does not collect stat and YES it is reliable with NATS – this is not the yourls.org script.

YES it has more than 16 links so far, webmasters have the ability to chose their own links and quite a few of the “good” ones are already taken, like gay.gl/gaymovies