Affiliate Programs and Trust

When you think about it affiliate programs have inherent trust issues. We send traffic and trust the program to report the sales. They could just quietly pocket a percentage of your sales commissions without telling you about the sales and you’d really never know. I think people understand that and so they have more trust for affiliate programs that are run by payment processors because the payment processor is an independent third party who they think is making sure they get paid their commissions.

I’m going to tell a story and leave out the names of those involved, though it will be evident which payment processor I’m talking about. This really isn’t about the particular parties involved so much as a general problem I’m seeing which I’d like to know people’s thoughts on. Can we have a general discussion without mentioning names? Please?

So the story… You know how most affiliate programs have a clause in there saying you can’t refer friends and family? Well, I think I now understand why… It’s because you then know about a particular sale and can check up to see if they’ve cheated you out of a commission… Someone I know bought a membership after following a link with my affiliate codes in it. Then they told me they had bought the membership, but no sale was showing up in the reports. I contact both the site owner and the payment processor who manages the affiliate program and started getting a run around…

Customer service at the payment processor told me a different affiliate was credited with the sale. The site owner said “Just so you know, all commissions are handled entirely by [payment processor]. We have nothing to do with that.” He went on to say they’d been “using [payment processor] for over 8 years we have never had a payment issue.”

Naturally I follow up with payment processor’s customer service and ask how another affiliate’s code got on the sale and was told that it’s the first affiliate that sets the referral cookie that is credited with the sale, not the last. That makes no sense to me and I asked the following… “Think of it in brick and mortar terms… A person goes into a crappy store that doesn’t display their products properly. The product they want is there, but the way it’s marketed leaves them uncertain about buying it. They then go to a better store, see the same product, but this time it’s presented well and someone explains how the product works. The person is convinced and they buy the product. Now, in that scenario, why should the second store give the first store all of their profit on the sale? It just doesn’t make any sense…”

Things progress and I’m finally told that it’s one of my affiliate codes that’s on the sale, but there’s no sale showing under that code either. I should backup and say the site owner runs two sites, let’s call them Site A and Site B. The sale was for a combo membership that gives the person access to both sites. What happened is the person must have followed both links, but the actions that lead to the sale were they followed the link to Site A, and purchased a combo membership, and the affiliate code for Site B is what showed on the sale because they had earlier followed one of my links to Site B.

Long story short(er)… The problem boils down to the fact that the site owner set up semi-independent affiliate programs for each site. Let’s say Site A’s affiliate program code is 123456-0000 and Site B’s affiliate program code is 123456-0002. You have to sign up with both programs to sell both sites. What I just learned this morning is the combo sale registered under code 123456-3000, which does not have an affiliate program associated with it, and the programs are not set up with “account grouping”.

I don’t know who chose to set things up that way - whether it was the site owner or some rep or support person at the payment processor. But it appears the set up is such that, by either design or accident, it will cheat affiliates out of commissions on all combo sales. [It makes you wonder how much it would cost him to now pay affiliates all the commissions they weren’t paid on combo sales over the last 8 years!]

After nearly 30 e-mails back and forth on this issue, the most disturbing part by far is that the payment processor has never once apologized or agreed with me that I’m owed a commission. [The site owner did apologize early on.] IMHO, the big selling point for affiliates on payment processor run affiliate programs is that an independent third party will ensure you get your commissions, but they don’t seem to see that as their job. After many many e-mails and all sorts of people being cc’d it’s clear their client is the site owner and if the site owner purposefully or accidentally sets things up in a way that cheats the affiliate out of the commission, they’ll be happy to stand by the site owner.

IMHO, if an affiliate sends traffic that results in a sale, the affiliate should get a commission. Period.

For a while now I’ve wondered about the programs run by this payment processor. My overall conversion ratio for all other programs is 1:408 (uniques), but the average for programs run by the payment processor is 1:510 - about 25% worse. The best converting sites with affiliate programs run by that payment processor have ratios of 1:257 and 1:284. So I’m not saying there aren’t good affiliate programs run by that payment processor - only that it would seem too many of the sites seem to underperform…

One of the niches I do really well with is what I’d describe as “poz pigs who bareback” (not that they advertise that the guys are poz, but it’s obvious - the guys are older and often look poz). There are three sites in that niche that I’ve promoted. One has a conversion ratio of 1:136 (uniques) another a conversion ratio of 1:195, but the one that uses the payment processor’s affiliate program has a ratio of 1:853. To me that says it all… The site with the bad conversion ratio shouldn’t be selling that poorly.

So the question is what to do about all of this? How do you make sure you get paid the commissions you’ve earned? Do you just accept that you’ll never see a certain percentage of revenue? Was I just dumb in not realizing that multiple affiliate programs for related sites was a huge warning sign that there would be problems? How do you know if there’s “account grouping” in effect or not? (And why would the payment processor not mandate account grouping, or at least make it the default setting that needs an authorized over-ride?)

While it’s obvious who the payment processor is, I didn’t mention their name because I know they’re not the only payment processor who has “issues”. I’ve heard stories about other payment processors too. That’s why I really don’t want this to turn into a thread that bashes anyone in particular. It’s more about how an affiliate can deal with situations where trust may be violated and still run a viable business…

This all boils down to trust. I guess my biggest questions are why don’t affiliate programs take the issue of trust more seriously? And why do so many people trust people payment processor run affiliate programs when they can have such huge problems? And how do affiliates protect themselves and make sure they get paid?

Re: Affiliate Programs and Trust

Trust is a huge issue, particularly in this business, and I guess it boils down to who you do trust (and how you determine you can trust them.)

I am not sure, but in the case you’re describing it sounds more like the sponsor might not have realized the intricacies of that biller’s affiliate system (and there are definitely some weird and arcane things in that biller’s affiliate setup). But given a choice between a biller’s affiliate program and an unknown proprietary one by the site, I would probably, all things being equal, choose the biller’s affilate program. At least you know you’ll be paid promptly and on time, and the biller in question certainly has never been accused of shaving.

Now… if you trust the program, then it shouldn’t really matter if they are using a biller’s affiliate management or their own, or a third party such as NATS or MPA. However, I will also say that blind trust in a program because they use a third party such as NATS or MPA is misplaced; in spite of all of the marketing to the contrary, it is quite possible for underpayments to happen, which could be done intentionally or through buggy software. A good program will catch it and make it right; a less ethical program won’t bother to tell you or may even rig the system to take advantage.

There was a discussion some time back on GWW about whether you’re better off taking a program that you know is shaving, but pays out well in what you actually receive per-click, or whether you should take an honest program that pays less. I argued that with the shaving program, you really have no idea what you’re actually earning, so I’d choose the honest one, but I can see the argument the other way.

Also, I have to agree with you that the biller you’re referring to does, for some inexplicable reason, seem to have consistently lower conversion than the other major biller in our experience. However, from the perspective of the sponsor, there are other factors; customer service simply isn’t comparable between the two, and each offers options and flexibility the other does not. As far as integrity, they both seem to be honest in the way they conduct their business, as far as we’ve been able to tell.

We have always considered honesty and integrity as key in our communication with affiliates, and that’s one of the reasons why the current affiliate software we use has been so frustrating; I get really tired of explaining to affiliates why the software has broken again and/or why the reports are wrong again because it makes us look bad when, in reality, we’re the ones finding and reporting the problems to the vendor.

I don’t know for sure if other programs simply don’t have the problems, or have them but are afraid to mention them for fear of reprisals or loss of affiliates. (I suspect it’s the latter.) I guess it’s a business decision that each program has to make, and there is good and bad that comes from either choice, so it’s not cut and dried.

In short… I don’t think any of the affiliate billing solutions out there are perfect. Some are definitely better than others, and we are still trying to find the right, best solution for our affiliates and our own needs. But what it boils down to in the end, at least for me, is that affiliates need to check up on their sponsors, and, at the same time, if they have a sponsor they suspect isn’t being straight with them, there is little or no reason to continue working with that sponsor when there are so many others to choose from.

Wow, this is a big question, but a very good one.

As a content provider myself and using a 3rd program; I do wonder (and worry for my affiliates) about these things too. I don’t have any knowledge on how my 3rd party deals with these things, I just hope it all goes well; sometimes I do email my affiliates and ask them if they get their payments on time.

But this is a good question, so all of you please input here!

1 thing I DID pick up on …
you mentioned cookies when it comes to affiliate A or B getting the commission.

How does it work for this?:

Surfer X sees site Z at affiliate A on 1 Aug at 1pm (cookie set …)
Surfer X goes away - surfs more and happens to stumble on site Z again at affiliate B (Aug 1 at 2pm) - now he has seen 2 sites recommending Z - so he signs up … Who deserves the commission?

[QUOTE=fetishlad;17669]

How does it work for this?:

Surfer X sees site Z at affiliate A on 1 Aug at 1pm (cookie set …)
Surfer X goes away - surfs more and happens to stumble on site Z again at affiliate B (Aug 1 at 2pm) - now he has seen 2 sites recommending Z - so he signs up … Who deserves the commission?[/QUOTE]

This has always been an issue with cookies. Some say the first should get the sale while others say the second should.

Most programs give the sale to the last affiliate link. I didn’t realize that any had a cookie so it couldn’t be overwritten.

I still say the sale should be given to the last webmaster. But, in the end, it all equals out. You gain some sales, and you lose some sales. IMHO, as long as all affiliates are on the same playing field.

[QUOTE=rawTOP;17656]

Naturally I follow up with payment processor’s customer service and ask how another affiliate’s code got on the sale and was told that it’s the first affiliate that sets the referral cookie that is credited with the sale, not the last. [/QUOTE]

Did you actually verify this yourself by checking the join page after visiting two affiliate links? I was under the impression that this biller did not set a cookie that couldn’t be overwritten.

I have asked this biller the question before. Asked 5 people. Finally, I got three to agree that it was the last and not the first. But, there ya go!

@GayBucks_Chip - I really appreciate your comments… Especially your confirming that conversion ratios are lower than average for programs run by that payment processor.

And lastly I’d like to add that the site owner got back to me and was shocked to hear that he hadn’t set things up properly. He’s escalating it with the payment processor to get it resolved. There’s something in how he states things that makes me believe him. So it does appear to be a genuine mistake, which is why I don’t think any of this is an issue of blame so much as how can we learn from these situations and avoid getting hurt by them.

You need to choose your sponsors wisely I think. Its not as simple as just checking up on them. How can you do that when many sponsor consider test transactions, even when reported to the sponsor, as fraud.

I know some sponsors will allow a test transactions as theyve nothing to hide but Ive been kicked off PPS by a webcams sponsor for doing a test, AND emailing them to say pls deduct one sale from me as I did a test (something fraudsters dont tend to do Id guess). I left that sponsor as I thought “what are they so scared of?” - also worth pointing out I didnt ask for a refund, I was happy to loose the money and not claim the sale.

This case sounds more like a mistake than a scam to me. Probably bad webmaster suport on the billers side, personally Id have apologised, credited your account, and made sure it wasnt likely to happen again.

Boston,

but the biller you asked then contradicts itself - if raw asked and got told the 1st one and you got told the 2nd one (regarding the cookie that counts)

unless both of you - who are not naming names - are talking about different billers…

[QUOTE=rawTOP;17679]@GayBucks_Chip - I really appreciate your comments… Especially your confirming that conversion ratios are lower than average for programs run by that payment processor.

And lastly I’d like to add that the site owner got back to me and was shocked to hear that he hadn’t set things up properly. He’s escalating it with the payment processor to get it resolved. There’s something in how he states things that makes me believe him. So it does appear to be a genuine mistake, which is why I don’t think any of this is an issue of blame so much as how can we learn from these situations and avoid getting hurt by them.[/QUOTE]

I am sure it is a genuine mistake on his part. This payment processor is notorious for giving out information that is just not accurate at times. I don’t think they do it by intention either. I have learned to get at least three answers to the same question and only when a majority say one or the other do I stop asking.

99% of my rev comes from VOD, not affiliate payouts from sponsors, BUT in the context of “shaving”…

I have a VOD provider that about once a month, a day will go by where the stats don’t update.

I’ve been doing this for 3 years, and in VOD, the rules of statistical probability really show up. I can reliably and predictably earn XXX dollars per day, so to not make ANY dollars in a one-day time period is obvious.

That $0 day is preceded by 30 days of the reliable X dollars per day, and followed as well. But there in the middle, like a donut hole, is a ZERO!

It’s not like the Stats keeper might have gone fishing on Tuesday, then on Wednesday the number is twice what it should have been - Tues and Wed combined, it is just not there.

So annoying. Yet we’re so helpless because who ya gonna call??

We have our own merchant account, but our affiliate program is handled by CCBill. It’s gives our affiliates a little extra assurance that our program is on the up and up and gives us the freedom to concentrate on providing the excellent quality content for our members, third party Video Feed subscribers and Affiliates.

That’s what is great about boards like this. Though affiliates may never know if they are getting 100% of the sales (regardless of who made the error), places like this help people identify the “most honest” sites and we can spend our time promoting them.

Due to such a lot of problems in the last 1 or 2 years with getting paid by Sponsors using their own systesm, I now prefer and only really promote programs who use Epoch, CCBill, Verotel etc. Or atleast NATS. I do think twice before signing up, where as I used to not worry much. If its a well known name that also helps for making up my mind.

Only in the last 2 years I have removed and stopped advertising well over 200 sites for different reasons including payment problems, odd stats, traffic leaks etc. Thats a pretty high turnover of sponsors!

The larger billing compainies have their faults, but I having a 3rd party dealing with payouts and stats really makes up for most of those.

which reminded me of a example just yeasterday.

A site owner contacted me, wanting me to signup for his program. But he wanted us to discuss and decide how much the commission would be. He told me he did different for everyone… he didnt use any of the larger billing providers but his own bank / merchant account because it was cheaper… Neither did he use NATs but his own little system.

A few years back I would probably have tested it out. Now? Never, no chance I would bother to even test it. Simply not worth the hassle.

Now how can you trust that? I dont know him, never seen the site before and not even got a established commission setup.

[QUOTE=gaydemon;17710]which reminded me of a example just yeasterday.

A site owner contacted me, wanting me to signup for his program. But he wanted us to discuss and decide how much the commission would be. He told me he did different for everyone… he didnt use any of the larger billing providers but his own bank / merchant account because it was cheaper… Neither did he use NATs but his own little system.

A few years back I would probably have tested it out. Now? Never, no chance I would bother to even test it. Simply not worth the hassle.

Now how can you trust that? I dont know him, never seen the site before and not even got a established commission setup.[/QUOTE]

Is someone cooking breakfast? I could swear I smell “Scam and Eggs”!lol

[QUOTE=gaydemon;17706]Due to such a lot of problems in the last 1 or 2 years with getting paid by Sponsors using their own systesm, I now prefer and only really promote programs who use Epoch, CCBill, Verotel etc. Or atleast NATS. I do think twice before signing up, where as I used to not worry much. If its a well known name that also helps for making up my mind.

The larger billing compainies have their faults, but I having a 3rd party dealing with payouts and stats really makes up for most of those.[/QUOTE]

Are there cases, even with 3rd party involvement, that you avoid just because you can tell there are likely to be problems? Things like two semi-connected sites each with it’s own affiliate program? Or do you just watch for a while and drop ones with low conversion ratios? If so, what’s your threshold?

Good question.

What I do, if its site using CCBill, Epoch, Verotel or DHD. I take them on, run them for around 4-6 months, then check on how its going.

By then you can see what’s going on, if there are little or no sales. Bad conversion ratios etc. Over a longer period and more traffic its easy to spot problems and I check each site over and try and find what it is. Then when I know why (if i find out) I then decide what to do.

I either drop the site, change the amount of traffic I send, or change how its advertised. All depending on what it might be.

The easiest ones to figure out are always the worst ones. Like traffic leaks or as many times have happened, the join page uses a different billing company (I use ccbill codes, the join page uses verotel).

But I continue to do the same every few months for all sites even after the first 6 months. My spreadsheet (with the help of statsremote) gives me warnings when a site goes below a set amount ($0.02 / hit). So I can easily see when something isnt quite right.

Initially, I treat all sponsors with suspicion, and those using NATS or their own in-house systems with extreme mistrust. This is based on two years of bad experiences. Its in the nature of sponsors to try to steal from affiliates if they can get away with it.

Its reached the point for me when I’m reluctant to sign up for any new programs that are using NATS or their own systems.

[QUOTE=Hammerhead;17723]
Its reached the point for me when I’m reluctant to sign up for any new programs that are using NATS or their own systems.[/QUOTE]

And we hear that from a lot of programs. It’s really sad, given that NATS original selling point was its reliability and resistance to shaving.

It still amazes me that there are so few real options for sponsors as far as third-party affiliate software.

For anyone making a new purchase, there’s really only one real option that seems to be universally accepted (MPA), unless you want to go with something relatively unknown. It still surprises me that ExecutiveStats isn’t being pushed more aggressively by NatNet, since I keep hearing good things about it.

Why are the processors not offering more hand-holding when it comes to helping sponsors setting up their affiliate programs? It seems to me if the processors were educating and helping sponsors, then it works to everyone’s advantage.

1. Sponsors won’t be embarrassed.

2. Sponsors and processors won’t be the targets of attacks by webmasters on the boards, which gives both the sponsor and the biller a bad rap.

3. Webmasters are happy because they’re getting paid.

Michael