2 sales, 2 chargebacks!

I was using a new sponsor, had 2 sales, both had chargebacks. Coincidence or bad site? Would you ditch the sponsor?

Re: 2 sales, 2 chargebacks!

It doesnt sound good. Could be very bad luck… but luck got little to do with sales online.

Sites always will have chargebacks specially on a larger volumen of sales in total. But chargebacks only… no…

The conversion ratio was great (though it is still early days)… 1:52, so I wondered whether I should perhaps just ride it out and decide in a week or two?

I’d ride it out for another week or so and see what happens. Maybe the members area just really sucks??

Michael

Quite possibly. I haven’t been given site access so really couldn’t say. I think I will request it.

I would wait. I have seen my chargeback ratio go from 0.1% (it’s been that every month since I started) to a whole 1% so far this month. People are struggling to pay their cards.

So they chargeback? Isn’t that fraud!

Yep, but it happens!

I guess it would be more than the value of the membership to bother doing anything about?

sometimes marketing can cause chargebacks. if you - unknowingly - promote a site as having something it doesn’t have, you may start having chargebacks. and there was one site i promoted that had chargebacks for me. turned out that part of their member area was invisible in firefox.

one i never figured out why. the first 3 sales charged back, actually, and then some more. the site seemed to have everything they promised, but i didn’t check that hard. when they kept charging back, i stopped sending traffic.

only one more site ever had many chargebacks for me as an affiliate - they promoted one of their feeds on the tour and it apparently hadn’t been working for them for a long time. they showed the models from the feed and everything but when members joined and couldn’t see those models, they’d charge back.

It seems like a mistake actually. I have been using Nifty Stats to check up on my sales, which shows that both sales had chargebacks. But when I actually login to check my stats on their site, it doesn’t mention any refunds at all.

Anyone else have this with Nifty Stats?

Man, thats bad luck. Maybe you could contact the affiliate program owners to see what happened, or even where those surfers came from. And by any chance, are they using a different processor or their own merchant account? Sometimes when you introduce new sites to old traffic there is a chance you are introducing them to old scammers too - and those people are experts and playing the game and love finding new places where they haven’t yet been blacklisted.

I think the only way to understand what happened is to ask the affiliate program and to nifty stats

[QUOTE=gaydemon_jr;26146]It seems like a mistake actually. I have been using Nifty Stats to check up on my sales, which shows that both sales had chargebacks. But when I actually login to check my stats on their site, it doesn’t mention any refunds at all.

Anyone else have this with Nifty Stats?[/QUOTE]

Maybe you overlooked what Niftystats really displays.

Look more closely in Nifty - does figure “2” stand in the “refund” row or is it perhaps in the “rebill” row? They are close to each other and can be mistaken sometimes. I was once confused about this too :slight_smile:

Hehe, I just checked and it definitely says Refund. I contacted the affiliate rep and it definitely hasn’t charged back. So I’m mega chuffed.

Thanks for all the contributions to this thread.

A refund is not the same as a chargeback. Chargeback generally mean that the use of the credit card was “unauthorized” or some other shenanigans. A refund usually means that the surfer was simply unhappy for some reason.

I thought a refund was when the surfer requested a refund through the biller, and a chargeback was when they called VISA for the refund.

Michael

Oh yes. I have one refund (from another sponsor) and 2 chargebacks showing in Nifty Stats. Though none of the chargebacks are true, I contacted the affiliate rep to check.

a refund is when a credit card user request his money back and the webmaster or processor agrees - a chargeback is when the user basically demands his money back. they can both be done through the bank.

interesting thing - once we had a charge on our card we didn’t recognize and filled out a form to find out what it was and the bank automatically charged back, so it’s a good thing ccbill and epoch put the charge descriptor on the page when they sign up. and a funny thing about that chargeback - no one ever contacted us about the chargeback and the bank was unable to find out enough about the charge for us to know who had billed us that $100 so we could pay them back.

[quote=dzinerbear;26239]I thought a refund was when the surfer requested a refund through the biller, and a chargeback was when they called VISA for the refund.

Michael[/quote]