Where is the traffic shifting to?

Re: Where is the traffic shifting to?

I don’t think Google is the problem necessarily. I just looked at my Google traffic for the year for one of my more popular blogs and it’s pretty stable.

Steve … I really think you need to modernize, put your efforts into a real blog with hot guys … just let Frisky Fans sit there and forget about doing DVD reviews, no one is buying DVDs and VOD has been dying about as fast as AVS did. I feel your pain … I’m in the process of retooling my premiere AVS site, this is the baby that made me gobs and gobs of money. But it’s dead and needs a fresh look and new idea. I hate letting it go, but sometimes you just have to move on and let your babies die.

And JeffRDude, people have been complaining and protesting about Google for years and years. Maybe they listen, maybe they don’t … but they seem to do what they want to do and they like to try new things at the expense of everyone else.

I think the only time Google will listen to complaints, like this one, is when their shares prices plummet. On the upside, I haven’t (knock on wood) noticed any drop off for my own little empire.

[QUOTE=dzinerbear;119348]I don’t think Google is the problem necessarily. I just looked at my Google traffic for the year for one of my more popular blogs and it’s pretty stable.

Steve … I really think you need to modernize, put your efforts into a real blog with hot guys … just let Frisky Fans sit there and forget about doing DVD reviews, no one is buying DVDs and VOD has been dying about as fast as AVS did. I feel your pain … I’m in the process of retooling my premiere AVS site, this is the baby that made me gobs and gobs of money. But it’s dead and needs a fresh look and new idea. I hate letting it go, but sometimes you just have to move on and let your babies die.[/QUOTE]

You guys… you all cannot just keep thinking in one dimension here. Don’t think like a spreadsheet - let’s think like a relational database.

Obviously just picking up the phone and calling Google isn’t going to accomplish much. Set your expectations. Think a bit and figure out what incentives have to happen to get Google to change the way it presents search results for adult content.

One little bit of good news, I hope, is that the major US ISPs are supposedly now tracking people who download off pirate sites. What I see coming from this are situations where a customer of Time Warner or Comcast are fingered for pirating, and the customer will claim that whatever it is they were doing they didn’t realize it was inappropriate. In short, they will say what my friend said when he wanted to see more of Bel Ami’s Mick Lovell - “I didn’t do anything wrong I just did a search.”

So, now Google’s users will start asking Google why their search results are getting them in trouble. MAYBE THEN Google won’t rank the torrent sites so prominently. Whatever happens, it only will change when Google incentives are to modify their search results.

You know, I always thought we would have benefited from Congress passing SOPA. It would have opened Blogspot, Tumblr etc up to liability for publishing copyrighted material. Then there would be some new incentives - like Google must consider if it should be prominently showing Blogspot posts of embedded copyrighted movies so prominently in their search results when their customers - people searching for movies - find them so easily.

I specifically noted on my earlier list that piracy has always been a problem. Piracy, theft, shoplifting - that comes part and parcel with any business. What’s new now is that Google’s search results make it so that there are no property rights protections any more. This is why it’s so much harder for small time independent producers to earn a living from their work. There’s no legacy of royalties derived from their intellectual property because within days copies of the videos are freely available all over the Internet.

We’re not looking at a situation which “implementing the iTunes payment model” will solve.

Dzinerbear brought up my business model for friskyfans. Honestly, it’s no different from any video producer who’s created an original work and seeks to derive money from it. I was sitting here typing and saw that someone surfed into my site by searching for Matt Ramsey Rick Donovan. My problem is that people can read my snappy, insightful commentary on The Bigger The Better, and on the same page of search results reader discover that they can watch that entire 11 minute scene free on Tube8 and XVideos THANKS to Google’s search results. The guilty parties here are Google, Tube8 and XVideos, hand in hand. These parties are either stealing, or participating in racketeering.

Yes, Big Hollywood has a lot more lawyers who can send DCMA requests, but also, very importantly, Google doesn’t present results like this for mainstream videos. People cannot search Google and watch the opening of the ark sequence from Raiders of the Lost Ark online like this. People shouldn’t be able to so easily find Matt Ramsey and Rick Donovan’s sex scene from The Bigger The Better either.

Steve

[QUOTE=desslock;119361]
Yes, Big Hollywood has a lot more lawyers who can send DCMA requests, but also, very importantly, Google doesn’t present results like this for mainstream videos. People cannot search Google and watch the opening of the ark sequence from Raiders of the Lost Ark online like this. People shouldn’t be able to so easily find Matt Ramsey and Rick Donovan’s sex scene from The Bigger The Better either.

Steve[/QUOTE]

"Google doesn’t present results like this for mainstream videos. " because…?

Something else to chew on a bit. I ran across this article when I was preparing a report.

It talks about the rise in mobile adoption, but points to breaks in the tracking chain as a challenge to advertisers.

Are the destination sites loosing any money? If someone is using their phone to access one of our sites, hears about something they’d like to purchase, but only buys from their desktop after typing in the url to that site directly, there is no way to attribute the sale to webmasters like us.

Taking a look at any of our stats would show a steady burgeoning migration to mobile platforms. How we monetize mobile traffic is going to be the biggest challenge and the simplest answer to this dilemma IMO.

http://www.emarketer.com/Article.aspx?R=1009224&ecid=a6506033675d47f881651943c21c5ed4

Picture 5.jpg

Very good point Simon honey.

I think Simon is onto something here, but it’s not just mobile that’s the problem either.

I bought an internet enabled TV last year, and I have yet to find a single site that streams video content in a format my TV recognizes.

Internet TV is on the rise, but many of the sites are not presented with media playable on those systems. I know it’s yet another headache for sponsors to deal with, but it’s a major one that they have to face if they intend to keep up with the way their audience wants to view content.

Sponsors should be ready to roll out their videos for all platforms the moment another one rises in popularity, and they simply haven’t been. We’re promoting sites that a lot of people want to access on their desktop, their iPhone and their TV, and most have only just caught up with mobile tech while Smart TV’s are being snapped up.

It’s time to start promoting sites that offer their content across all platforms.