Thanks Winter, We're Stranded!

Except for the fact that we’ve had to cancel several shoots because of it, this is totally non-work related.

We got hit with a ridiculous surprise storm yesterday morning (Valentine’s Day) leaving our entire 1/2 mile road/driveway buried in 3 foot snow drifts. It’s our only way in/out.

We’re used to getting a lot of snow but I’ve never seen anything like this. This amount of snow in such a short time, followed up by sustained 60 MPH winds… I think every flake of snow was blown & piled onto our road.

Thankfully we have one of our vehicles parked 1/2 mi down the road. We’re going to have to hike/snowshoe groceries in for weeks. Maybe longer as more snow is on the way.

Here’s a little video of us surveying the road yesterday from our YouTube Channel “Aaron & Seth - Life @ 10,000 Feet”.

//youtu.be/fh3XLpeISJs

Re: Thanks Winter, We’re Stranded!

Oh wow… that’s just how I remember my childhood in Sweden during snowy winters. :smiley:

Meanwhile we’re in the middle of the set of a disaster movie, wet and massive storms!

Aside from being stranded, it looks very beautiful. I’d love to be up in the middle of nowhere. How do you guys do with an Internet connection?

We have satellite Internet (Exede) which is pretty fast but it goes down often. It’s expensive for what it is with really low data allowances. We just recently were able to get DSL as a back up. It’s painfully slow as I think we’re about as far away from the central office as we can be.

Living in the mountains has been quite the challenge this year. Still love it though… We’re a little bit off the grid. No water, no trash service, no mail. unmaintained road, and best of all, no neighbors :slight_smile:

No neighbours is great. Having grown up rural, as I get older Im finding more and more that Im entertaining the idea of being back in the middle of nowhere. Im still a total city boy for the time being though.

Maybe its time to invest in a snowblower for the front of the truck!

Looks like a beautiful area.

[QUOTE=Simon;145433]
Maybe its time to invest in a snowblower for the front of the truck![/QUOTE]

Yeah, that would be nice. The ones I’ve looked at are crazy expensive for the number of times we’d actually use it. In the three winters we’ ve been here, this is the first time we’ve been snowed in this bad.

The one time the county did come & dig out, they had to bring a giant tractor/backhoe as there was no way to plow or use one of those truck mounted blowers. They only do that if they have to get to the top of our mountain where they have a radio tower for the sheriffs dept.

Seth, do you not have snow removal services (non public) for your driveways? It’s a very competitive business here in Quebec.

The problem (usually a blessing) is that we have a rocky & steep, remote mountain road.

There are a few guys we can call for plowing regular snowfall. We’ve only used them once in three years as our vehicles are usually capable of getting through.

However, this was a wicked storm that left a half mile of giant, hard/compacted snow drifts. There’s no plow that can touch it. They’d need to bring a tractor/backhoe and dig out.

If we hadn’t left one of our vehicles at the entrance of our road, we’d be hiring one of those tractors.

Hoping for warmer weather. But wouldn’t you know, there’s more snow in the forecast.

time for snowmobiles…