Remove DRM?

Re: Remove DRM?

[QUOTE=Jasun;58911]I’ve said it many times… DRM only stops the people who WANT to pay for your content from using it how they want to use it.

People want to download that movie, be able to view it on their laptop even when they don’t have a connection, watch it on their cell phone in the airplane restroom, watch it full screen on their Big Screen TV and keep it forever. If you’re using a technology that stops them from doing that, they’ll find your content elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you Jasun…if you “buy” a piece of content if should not have DRM. We are currently selling DRM free download to own clips on our site. We also have a subscription “rental” membership site. The “rental” model allows you to stream and watch all our content as much as you want, but you don’t get to “own” it…

I guess the concept I am having a hard time getting across is the different business models of “renting” content versus “selling” content. When you allow your users to download and own all your content for a single monthly fee, you are “selling” them your entire library of content for that price. That model works for you, that’s great!

There are however many of us that are not willing to “sell” our entire 15 years of expensively produced films for $20. We are however more than happy to “rent” them to you for $20.

The point I am trying to get across to people is that each site owner/producer has to make the decision about whether they want to be in the “rent” or “sell” business model. If you want to be in the “rental” business then use DRM or only allow streaming. If you want to be in the “sell” business model then don’t use DRM and allow downloads of all your content.

Different models work for different producers and their content. That’s’ the point I was trying to make, I guess just not very well. :wink:

At the end of the day it is not really about “selling” or “renting”, it’s about making money. Our business model is based on how much money we generate per member and in turn be able to share that with affiliates either through revshare or PPS. What I have found is that having DRM or not having DRM does not affect retention that greatly at all. What I have seen is that it does have an effect on new sales. New sales are easier to get without DRM.

Apple removed all DRM from Itunes that should say a lot

It says they are not in the business of producing content.

[QUOTE=Titanmen;58915]I agree with you Jasun…if you “buy” a piece of content if should not have DRM. We are currently selling DRM free download to own clips on our site. We also have a subscription “rental” membership site. The “rental” model allows you to stream and watch all our content as much as you want, but you don’t get to “own” it…

I guess the concept I am having a hard time getting across is the different business models of “renting” content versus “selling” content. When you allow your users to download and own all your content for a single monthly fee, you are “selling” them your entire library of content for that price. That model works for you, that’s great!

There are however many of us that are not willing to “sell” our entire 15 years of expensively produced films for $20. We are however more than happy to “rent” them to you for $20.

The point I am trying to get across to people is that each site owner/producer has to make the decision about whether they want to be in the “rent” or “sell” business model. If you want to be in the “rental” business then use DRM or only allow streaming. If you want to be in the “sell” business model then don’t use DRM and allow downloads of all your content.

Different models work for different producers and their content. That’s’ the point I was trying to make, I guess just not very well. ;-)[/QUOTE]

BINGO. Different business models can not be compared side to side. Apples to Apples only please.

Steve Jobs is the largest shareholder of Disney and before that he ran Pixar…

DRM, in it’s current form, hurts overall more then it helps.