Non-Nat Net Hosting Solutions (shared hosting OK)...

I’m reaching the limit of my bandwidth allocation on my current server. I’m checking to see how much they’ll charge me to up the bandwidth, but it would be easy enough for me to just move the subdomain with all the videos (and most of the bandwidth) onto a different server so I want to throw that option into the mix.

I don’t use that much bandwidth - I’m currently at 1100 GB/mo (5.6 Mb/s @ 95th percentile) for everything (HMTML + video). So a good shared hosting situation would be fine. I’ve had a nightmare with Nat Net in the past, so they’re not an option for me. I would like a US or Canadian-based host, however.

Re: Non-Nat Net Hosting Solutions (shared hosting OK)…

I have never been able to find a good shared host. See what mojohost can do.

I just heard from my host. They have “premium bandwidth” (which I’m currently on) which is routed through Sprint, Savvis, Telia, nLayer, Level3, and Global Crossing and then they have the less expensive “tier 1 bandwidth” which is routed just through Telia, nLayer, and Global Crossing. They’ve got a lot of steps to their additional pricing scheme. The best part is I don’t have to switch to 95th percentile pricing (which would be costly in my situation). The prices start at $25 for an additional 100 GB on the premium network, and $10.75 on the tier 1 network. They go up to $365 for an additional 3000GB on the premium network and $157 for the tier one network.

That seems like a pretty decent deal (and no effort on my part either). So I’ll probably go with that. Since I’d have to downgrade my entire bandwidth to switch to tier 1 pricing I’ll probably do it at the 2000 GB mark. Even if I could find decent shared hosting plan they probably couldn’t give me 1200+ GB for $11 or $25/month. Even if I wanted to do that it makes sense to wait. I thought my host would be switching me to 95th percentile billing at this point and I would see a big jump in prices, but that’s not the case so I’ll stick with them for the moment.

From what I have been pricing around, it is a very decent offer.

It sounds like you’re better off staying with your current host. Not having to make changes to your site(s) is definitely worth something.

As for National Net, I recently switched our sites from our old host of nearly 10 years (RackShack/EV1/ThePlanet) and have had an absolutely terrific experience so far. National Net gets an A+++ rating from me.

[QUOTE=Seth;47773]
As for National Net, I recently switched our sites from our old host of nearly 10 years (RackShack/EV1/ThePlanet) and have had an absolutely terrific experience so far. National Net gets an A+++ rating from me.[/QUOTE]

We were with ThePlanet (and EV1 before that) and switched to NatNet, and I share your view. The rough equivalent would be comparing a rusted bicycle with a Rolls Royce. :slight_smile:

As for rawTOP’s current host, the cheaper bandwidth providers are perfectly decent, I had a couple servers at a data center that used Global Crossing and nLayer and found the bandwidth to be perfectly good and reliable.

Last fall I tried to do colo with NatNet I FedEx’d one of my servers to them (at a cost of $238) only to have them tell me the price quote they gave me was rubbish and they wanted to charge me 74% more than they quoted me. Somehow they thought it reasonable to charge me extra for the fact that they only have 2 post racks when my server needs a 4 post rack (after I told them the exact model of server I was sending). In other words, they had gotten less expensive racks and wanted me to pay extra for it. When I asked for them to ship my server back to me immediately they went completely ballistic on me. It was all extremely unprofessional - and I was out over $550 in shipping charges.

The kicker is I pay 25% less than Nat Net’s original quote at my current host. So they weren’t even a good price.

Nat Net is OK if you fit within the box they want you to be in - managed hosting, not colo, etc. But step outside that box and you’ll see a VERY ugly side of them. If that’s what you call a Rolls Royce I’d hate to see the rusty bicycle you talk about…

My host just told me a salient detail they had left out before - if I switch from the premium network to the tier 1 network I get a base of 2400 GB/month for the starter price I’m paying now ($150/server). So in other words, I can double my bandwidth for no additional cost. That’s a no brainer - I’m sticking with them.