need help streaming WMVs in IE

for years i’ve had no trouble using IE to stream directly-linked wmv’s in a member area. couldn’t do it in firefox, but never had a problem in IE - until now. suddenly i can’t stream 'em - i have to wait for the videos to fully download. you can only imagine how much it slows down a review for me to have to fully download 3 HD videos.

so, does anyone here know what setting in IE i have to change to make the WMVs stream again? btw, if anyone knows the same for FF, i’d be grateful.

Re: need help streaming WMVs in IE

I’m having the same problem.

It seems the recent change affects watching movies in AEBN as well but they stall and wont start back up again :frowning:

I’m not an expert but believe that the ability to stream video is partially based on the user’s settings in the player and partially based on the attributes set on the file embedded in the site. The video cade can have a buffer set and an autostart enabled. This is suposed to help so that video’s do not have frequent starts and stops. With very hi res videos the buffer should be set higher to allow for slower internet transfer speeds.

To stream WMV with Firefox there are two plug ins you can download depending on your OS and version of FF.

For windowx XP and vista running MP11: http://port25.technet.com/pages/windows-media-player-firefox-plugin-download.aspx

For people still running MP9: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/9series/default.aspx

I hope this is helpful for a start.

thanks - will check those out.

btw, some of the videos that will no longer stream in IE are my own vids, and the exact same videos i was able to stream before. now when i click a link in IE, it says “Do you want to open or save this file?” - and if i say open, it starts to download it and doesn’t play till it’s fully loaded.

am off to check my media player settings and your links.

try to reinstall the windows media, I had the same problem time ago.