ICQ Now Russian Owned?

Anyone heard about this? That a Russian outfit bought out ICQ?

story here

Like just what it needs, an easier route to spam me from some Russian bimbo, wanting to immigrate to here, or to get hooked up with a nice gay guy :bang:

So what other alternatives are out there, like ICQ? I know there is MS Messenger, Jabber, and GTalk. Anyone planning to turf their ICQ or just gonna stay pat, hoping the spam won’t grow too much?

Re: ICQ Now Russian Owned?

It would not surprise me! I keep getting lots and lots of russian spam on mine. Doesn’t matter how many times I block some of them, they still come back.

AHH ok! Now I know why I’ve been getting all those Russian messages to add people to my contacts. Makes sense now. The past month has been unbelievably consistent. Of course, I didn’t know it was Russian until someone from Europe told me what it was. LOL.

For now, I’ll stick with ICQ, but if things get bad, I’ll go with something else and hope that others in the adult biz change as well. Unfortunately, ICQ is the IM of choice for our industry. At this point for me though, I still find it better than MSN and Yahoo etc. Yahoo installs a fair amount of tracking cookies on your machine when you install their messenger. That doesn’t sit very well with me. Then again, maybe the others do too.

Thanks for the link Ian!

still using ICQ , but planning create skype , msn and gtalk for assurance

When asked for a comment on the purchase the new owners said:

@825B8::-*=5 =C65= ?0@5=L 4;O A5:A0…@825B8::-*=5 =C65= ?0@5=L 4;O A5:A0…@825B8::-*=5 =C65= ?0@5=L 4;O A5:A0…@825B8::-*=5 =C65= ?0@5=L 4;O A5:A0…@825B8::-*=5 =C65= ?0@5=L 4;O A5:A0…

lol It almost looks like a virus.

Honestly, why do people in our industry still use ICQ? Do you really trust this Russian company knowing personal information about your business? I much prefer Skype, since it is encrypted, I get much less spam, and it just works much better and faster (ICQ is always going offline, hanging, slow etc). I only use ICQ for scheduled chats these days and occasionally with employees, but if the other person has Skype I will much prefer to talk to them on there.