admin logins to blogs

Been doing some changes, like having to use the damn laptop upstairs. Talk about ‘culture shock’ with the tiny keyboard, versus my wide curved ergo keyboard on the main machine. :bang:

Anyway, am slowly adding my links to the blogs, and was wondering, how many of you use the username ‘admin’ for your blogs?

I have been adding a different user lately, with a totally odd username, along with the strong secure password choices, and giving that new user, full admin privileges.

Supposedly this is the recommended way to go, though when you set up the stupid install, you can’t change the choice of admin for login, though maybe somewhere in the config file you might.

Anyone else changing their main administration login to include a different login, for safety sake? whistle

Re: admin logins to blogs

its never a good idea to use the default admin login for any script, and always use a random alphanumeric plus special character password that is unique to each site. Here’s a tip, use a program like RoboForm to do this for you!

I don’t see the point in using say your computer fun name and then a good strong password … admin is still functional, and there is no way to change what it is. I’d be putting a good password on admin and leave it at that.

From what I gather, is that using a different user as admin, helps somehow, in keeping access in case some hacker gets in through an exploit or something.

It isn’t about not using admin as a user, but in creating a separate user account, with full admin privileges. I don’t quite follow the reasoning, because if they hack in, to change admin, i’d guess they would also change other user roles, but hey, I ain’t no geek or techie.

Funny how they give you security advise, but rarely explain ‘why’ in any understanable manner. :bang:

oh so now you want to know
WHY … ??? hahahhaaaaaahahahaha

[quote=Bec;28835]oh so now you want to know
WHY … ??? hahahhaaaaaahahahaha[/quote]

yeah okay, so I have high expectations, or is that really weird dreams? lol

You shouldn’t lick your fingers after passing meds …

Ok, I figured it out. Go in to Users and create a new user with a name other than admin and give it administrator ranking. Save.

Now log out as admin and log back in as the new name.

Go back to Users and check mark Admin and above it change the ability to some other function, like Editor, and save. Admin now no longer has administrator abilities.

[quote=Bec;28838]You shouldn’t lick your fingers after passing meds …

Ok, I figured it out. Go in to Users and create a new user with a name other than admin and give it administrator ranking. Save.

Now log out as admin and log back in as the new name.

Go back to Users and check mark Admin and above it change the ability to some other function, like Editor, and save. Admin now no longer has administrator abilities.[/quote]

lol How I know, why is what has me flustered, and yeah I know, no one is going to tell me, cuz even they don’t know why… but in some odd way, it does feel like its a good idea. I think, maybe, sort of? whistle

Well yea, if the hacker uses the default admin to somehow get in to your admin panel, he won’t be able to do as much damage as he would if the administrator level was still applicable. Considering that, maybe even Editor is too high a level.

One could really give them a fit, make user subscriber. whistle

Could be fun, or make it a custom level, where they have no priveleges, including reading… lol

[QUOTE=Gaystoryman;28842]
Could be fun, or make it a custom level, where they have no priveleges, including reading… lol[/QUOTE]

I like the way you think … lol